Eyefinity Ubuntu Lucid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyefinity Ubuntu Lucid

I am looking at getting a 5870 eyefinity 6 edition card. The drivers in ubuntu lucid (10.04) say they support eyefinity.

From what I can see these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3V6BK4D0HKA8F) mini-displayport to vga adapters should work.

What I want to do is setup a 4x1 eyefinity setup of 1920x1200 monitors for a total of 7680x1200. That is supposed to be a supported resolution option.

Will this work without xinerama or anything like that? Will stuff like composite work? Right now I have dual 8800 GTS nvidia cards with xinerama and it is pretty slow mostly because of lack of composite. When I tried it with xgl long ago it was very very fast but crashed a lot. Eyefinity is supposed to solve this problem.

I don't really care if compiz actually works although that would be nice. I mostly want to not use xinerama anymore as a primary feature and allow kde to work across all 4 monitors as one desktop. My secondary feature would for it to be much faster then the current xinerama setup which is not hard to beat. I would love if it supported composite correctly so that desktop effects could be enabled in kde since that also makes it run a heck of a lot faster when I tested that using just two monitors.

Thanks

Originally posted by koshcu View Post
    I am looking at getting a 5870 eyefinity 6 edition card. The drivers in ubuntu lucid (10.04) say they support eyefinity.
    really? is it in the package summary or something? please confirm

Comment

Originally posted by fluxion View Post
      really? is it in the package summary or something? please confirm
      It is in the changelog that I found it. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ler/+changelog just look in there for eyefinity and it says it supports it. It was also reported on this site a while ago but no idea if someone actually tested it. It could be a bad changelog.

I am really hoping it works because I am tired of xinerama with two nvidia cards. However I won't order one until I know that eyefinity actually works under linux.

Comment

You can use at most two of the cheap passive DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Connecting further monitors requires native DisplayPort or expensive active adapters (usually marketed as "DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI").

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          You can use at most two of the cheap passive DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Connecting further monitors requires native DisplayPort or expensive active adapters (usually marketed as "DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI").
          I was not planning on using displayport to dvi. I was planning on using displayport to vga. From what I read all displayport to vga adapters are active because they have to be to create the vga signal. They just power off the port since they are very low power. In the widescreengaming forums people report that they do work for eyefinity.

My monitors don't even have dvi input. They have vga, hdmi, composite and a few others but no dvi. The displayport to hdmi stuff active adapters are pretty expensive and when I have tested my monitors with vga input vs hdmi input at 1920x1200 I can't see any difference so the vga adapters seemed like the best option.

Comment

hdmi is the same as dvi technically - just buy a cheap cable if you need dvi on one side.

Comment

Well the 5870 eyefinity 6 has 6 mini displayport connectors. To run 4 monitors 2 of the connectors must be active connectors. Active dvi/hdmi connectors are $100 but active vga connectors are $10 and the quality output between hdmi and vga seems to be identical.

It just seems to make more sense to use 4 mini displayport to vga adapters then active dvi/hdmi ones. It is far far cheaper and at least on my monitors I have I can't see any difference between hdmi and vga connections. On my 8800GTSs running my monitors at 1920x1200 with either hdmi or vga the output looks exactly the same to me.

Comment

That's just too funny, in that case you could buy 2 nv cards too when you need dvi on 4 monitors

Comment

I have dual 8800GTS cards right now and I want to get away from dual cards. Xinerama is buggy and slow. Eyefinity should completely deal with that problem. I could connect all the monitors with hdmi using two passive adapters and two active adapters but hdmi does not give any higher quality then vga does.

I even did a fair bit of research online for that and a lot of people would claim the all digital connection was better but no tests which actually showed that expect on very early lcd monitors. Later ones fixed those problems.

I just wanted to know if eyefinity would actually work correctly and that I would get normal acceleration across all 4 desktops and hopefully stuff like the composite extension working.

Comment

Do you REALLY expect that something from ati just works with Linux? Have fun...

Comment

Working...
                    X