Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From NVIDIA's Next Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Source and HW specs.

SCNR.
    That would be about the ONLY useful thing they could possibly provide. Their BLOB is entirely uninteresting and I have already decided to NEVER buy another nvidia product unless they HAND OVER EVERYTHING.

If I buy the hardware, ***I OWN IT*** and therefore MUST be able to use it in any way I want.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
      I think you nailed it pretty much already, Michael. Kernel Mode Setting, Xrandr >=1.2 and (less importantly but still nice) Optimus support.
      Exactly. Hotplugging/removing displays kind-of works now, but xrandr 1.2 support is LONG overdue. In a laptop, hotplugging is important!

Comment

Well nvidia-settings basically works, but xrandr would be better integrated in current desktops environments. As for xserver 1.8 support the legacy drivers most likely need an update too.

Comment

Thats where I think fglrx works better than my nvidia card. Hotplugging and xrandr works very well with fglrx

Comment

Everything's mostly fine with NVIDIA drivers, however:

1) Create a public/semi-public bugzilla/tracker/etc. for drivers issues.
            2) Release specs which are not covered by patents/IP/etc to make basic things like mode settings, TV output, initialization work.
            3) Pay more attention to users issues.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              2) Release specs which are not covered by patents/IP/etc to make basic things like mode settings, TV output, initialization work.
              In Nouveau driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                Why would anyone want Galium3d for the nvidia blob?
                To comply with open standards.

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                Nvidia already have a galium3d'ish implementation in their blob.
                Good, then less work would be required to make it fully compliant with Gallium3D.

Comment

Support nouveau, please!

I just want that they support at least a little bit nouveau. That could be with hardware (that should really be not problem) or with specs (that could be expensive) or that a dev looks over the code where the nouveau guys don't understand why something doesn't work. Maybe only one guy only a few days in a month, but they could at least help a bit. Or just help to get modesetting working for new cards.

But as long as they completely ignore nouveau I don't want anything from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well nvidia-settings basically works, but xrandr would be better integrated in current desktops environments. As for xserver 1.8 support the legacy drivers most likely need an update too.
                    Honest question (haven't used nvidia fo 2 years now): How does it "basically work"? Can I change resolutions, switch and arrange displays on the fly? It certainly didn't last time I checked.

Comment

I will not buy another NVIDIA product (not even a GPU-less motherboard) until we have full documentation for all hardware (at least as thorough as what AMD has released so far). I want the nouveau developers to be able to stop wasting time with reverse engineering and guesswork and just write the driver. End the intellectual "property" paranoia, please.

Comment

Working...
                      X