Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix tearing with xv on fglrx?

Hi,

it appears that tearing under xv is a rather old and known issue with fglrx. There are recurring reports about this problem since years.

My system is running vdr, a linux-based DVB software. It is connected via HDMI to a full HD flatscreen TV. Tested it with fglrx: Low load, but tearing with xv output. Tested it with radeonhd: no tearing with xv, but high load (and most likely no working power management).

Two years ago, I bought the 780G mainboard with an integrated HD3200 chipset specifically because of the promise of full HD HDMI output, yet the tearing issue is still unresolved by now.

What can one do to fix it?

Thanks!

Buy a Nvidia Card or use the open source drivers, there is no other option, fglx will never fix this issue...

Comment

use opengl output with forced vsync in amdcccle. for xine you need:

.xine/config
      Code:
      video.driver:opengl
      video.output.opengl_renderer:2D_Tex

Comment

Originally posted by salva84 View Post
        Buy a Nvidia Card or use the open source drivers, there is no other option, fglx will never fix this issue...
        I'd hope the fglrx guys would look into this problem. It's been around since a few years.

Comment

Its more likely that the card will be a legacy device that xv will be fixed in fglrx. For your problem use just opengl.

Comment

AMD has already stated that adding vsync to xv would need some architectural changes in fglrx. It's not a quick fix, and so far other features (like XvBA) were deemed more important.

so yeah, don't hold your breath, just stick to openGL.

Comment

Have you tried the open source (radeonhd or radeon) drivers with UMS and the ForceLowPowerMode option ?
              Test signature

Comment

Yes. xv works better with the open source drivers, but the system's load goes up (from 0.6 to somewhere around 2).

Comment

Working...
                X