Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Project Has Five New Summer Projects

Phoronix: X.Org Project Has Five New Summer Projects

Back in March we talked about the possible X.Org projects this year during Google's Summer of Code, for which X.Org is a veteran participant (in the past items like the ATI R300 Gallium3D driver and generic GPU video decoding have been tackled), but the list of accepted projects for this summer have now been announced. Gallium3D H.264 video decoding, an OpenGL 3.2 state tracker, and porting of the DRM code to GNU/Hurd were among the talked about possibilities, but none of those will be addressed as part of GSoC 2010...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So no opengl love. It's a pity, we really needed it...

Comment

There's a project to improve the GLSL compiler for R300, which could also help later cards. I'm excited about Cairo acceleration, too - this could have a greater impact on desktop performance than even OpenGL!

Finally, improved keyboard support for XCB is quite useful. Maybe not as useful as direct OpenGL support (right now you must go XCB->Xlib->GLX->OpenGL when ideally this would look like XCB->EGL->OpenGL), - but useful nonetheless.

Comment

Damn, I had my hopes up for KMS for Cirrus Logic 5446. Besides really old computers, it would have had a nice impact on Qemu.

Comment

The Cairo state tracker sounds interesting, there's already work on an OpenGL backend for Cairo, I wonder which one will bring the best performance.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
            So no opengl love. It's a pity, we really needed it...
            Anyone know the reason why none of the Gallium projects were picked up? Lack of applicants, or something else?

Comment

.... translation: a bunch of NOTHING.

Comment

So nothing interesting here...

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  Anyone know the reason why none of the Gallium projects were picked up? Lack of applicants, or something else?
                  *shrug* No clue why someone didn't pick up those projects.

Well, I've been looking for a thesis topic for this fall/winter/spring, so if the h.264 gallium decoding isn't being worked on by then, I might have to see if it's feasible to do as a thesis project. I don't have much current video decoding knowledge, but I do have gallium-capable hardware, and the source for both is available for study.

The timing just didn't work out for me to work on a SoC project, otherwise I'd have applied for one of these (The OpenGL 3.2 tracker would've been cool, but I don't know that I'd feel qualified for that one based on lack of GL knowledge).

Comment

Code:
                    creating a fully plug-and-play USB multi-seat solution using upstream software components
                    Really interesting. I wonder how they will implement this.

Comment

Working...
                    X