Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, More Steam & Source Engine Linux Details

Phoronix: Yes, More Steam & Source Engine Linux Details

While there's likely already a number of you tired of hearing about Valve's efforts to bring the Steam client and Source Engine to the Linux desktop and are just waiting for an official announcement, there's a few more Linux details to shed this afternoon for those interested in this event that has the possibility of sparking a Linux game revolution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Keep us updated on any more references you find! I really enjoy reading about them! Also, leaked URLs are even better!

Comment

Even the Steam.exe Windows binary features a string that reads "Bad eCurrentLinuxClientVersion field in CClientConfigRecord" with additional references in the steamclient.dll and SteamUI.dll files.
      This string, and some of the others, are also present in the old, non-webkit version. So it isn't really a sign of anything?

Comment

"os" "string" // WIN32, LINUX
        This string is also present on my system, in a file last updated April 16.

Comment

There was a linux version of the steam client for ages - cli only however. Wow, you found now strings of it in the Win version, impressive. What do you think is this?

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Code:
          $ strings steam |grep Linux
          CurrentLinuxClientVersion
          Bad eCurrentLinuxClientVersion field in CClientConfigRecord
          Bad eCurrentLinuxHldsUpdateToolVersion field in CClientConfigRecord
          CurrentLinuxHldsUpdateToolVersion
          Bad eBetaLinuxHldsUpdateToolVersion field in CClientConfigRecord
          BetaLinuxHldsUpdateToolVersion
          Empty eBetaLinuxHldsUpdateToolPassword in CClientConfigRecord
          BetaLinuxHldsUpdateToolPassword
          Linux Server Engine
          LinuxHldsUpdateTool
          This Linux installation is unsupported. You must have GLIBC 2.3.2 or higher.
          This Linux installation is unsupported. You must have GLIBC 2.3.2 or higher.
          Steam Linux Client updated, please retry the command

Comment

Valve are probably putting these const strings in there on purpose to keep people guessing

either way they wouldn't release or mention a linux client until a decent time after the MAC client, you know Apple and their spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
              Veither way they wouldn't release or mention a linux client until a decent time after the MAC client, you know Apple and their spotlight
              I really think it would have little to do with the "Apple spotlight" I could see them delaying the release it at the same time to limit the support they needed at one time. I'm sure people will disagree, but I think they want to see how things go on Mac; to find out if the costs match the benefits. If they run into real issues with the release I'd bet we wouldn't see a Linux announcement for years.

Comment

I'm neither excited or impressed, nor am I watching things closely in anticipation. Having said that...

If Valve would launch a Linux version of steam with only Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress 2 I can't even put into words how great that would be. Linux usages would skyrocket and no I'm not being overly optimistic. Hell if I could play those 3 games (which I own already) I probably could go months without even having to boot into Windows. Sure I have a lot of other games but that's enough to keep me occupied for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                  If Valve would launch a Linux version of steam with only Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress 2 I can't even put into words how great that would be. Linux usages would skyrocket and no I'm not being overly optimistic. Hell if I could play those 3 games (which I own already) I probably could go months without even having to boot into Windows. Sure I have a lot of other games but that's enough to keep me occupied for a while.
                  Exactly same here, Left 4 Dead 2 alone would be pretty much enough

Comment

On a side note the new Steam client ui seems to be using QT

Comment

Working...
                    X