No announcement yet.

Scratching my head: AGP HD3650 2D performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGP is the problem. With UMS, the exa UTS/DFS hooks are disabled on AGP cards since they generally lead to problems. With KMS, they work better, but still not great. Also for KMS, you'll want xf86-video-ati 6.13.0 or newer for decent UTS/DFS performance on AGP systems as the the src/dst domains were set wrong in earlier versions.

Comment

If you get 3D working (with mesa-experimental), compiz runs really smoothly..

Comment

agd5f should know.

Other than that, the rest of your stack looks recent enough, you should definitely have 3d acceleration on that given those versions, unless Fedora disabled some options while compiling them.

Why don't you install the most recent kernel you can get and try turning kernel modesetting on? You do this by passing radeon.modeset=1 in the bootloader (if compiled in), or passing modeset=1 to the radeon module when loading it.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Other than that, the rest of your stack looks recent enough, you should definitely have 3d acceleration on that given those versions, unless Fedora disabled some options while compiling them.
          Please read my post again. It's in experimental Mesa package in Fedora 12 and in the normal one only in Fedora 13.

Comment

You're right, I didn't read it carefully enough.

Still, 2D should work with KMS, given agd5f's post. And his packages should be fine for that.

Comment

Yes, however the src/dst domain problem agd5f mentioned would still make a difference, and the packages in F12 won't have that fix.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Yes, however the src/dst domain problem agd5f mentioned would still make a difference, and the packages in F12 won't have that fix.
                Yup yup. It's probably not a bad time to go for F13 either, given final freeze is soonish.

Comment

Thanks. I'd been holding off upgrading until at least the F13 code freeze. I figured that would also give time for user experiences with the new Ubuntu LTS to start trickling in.

Comment

Originally posted by arcas View Post
                    Thanks. I'd been holding off upgrading until at least the F13 code freeze. I figured that would also give time for user experiences with the new Ubuntu LTS to start trickling in.
                    I tend to try to upgrade little after beta since it's no fun upgrading to a frozen version just to notice your favorite programs have an armada of bugs.

Comment

Make sure that the interrupt latency on the AGP slot is 248.
                      Or you might experience the freezes with fglrx like I did.

Comment

Working...
                      X