Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And as for World of Warcraft...

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Well the only way to know whether it works is to try it out and see.
    I have, and it doesn't. There are no useful error messages to report either.

Comment

well ok .. i only meant to start this thread because i feared development on open source drivers for r300-r500 chips had pretty much went as far as developers wanted it to go..

i'll check my 'stack' as some of you have suggested, but afaik everything is up to date .. and from the few benchmarks i can run & from general overall experience & feel, the classic dri option is still faster & snappier than dri2 with kms.

i guess it's a good thing amd decided to open source it's development for anyone who bought a laptop / card from 2009 and after .. because for all the time it took to get these drivers in acceptable working condition, my hardware really is starting to feel deprecated ... .... ... (even though the best driver avaible to date doesnt fully exploit it ?!) ..

Comment

No chance of that. The big effort over the last couple of years, however, was a complete re-architecture of the open source graphics stack which laid the foundation for future improvements. You wouldn't have seen a lot of improvement during that time no matter what hardware you were running. Now you're seeing things like the 300g effort being able to move to the forefront.

We should try to understand what is different about your system from the ones where users are reporting good responsiveness on KMS. I know when your system isn't acting the way you want it's easy to think that everyone else must be seeing the same problem but I don't think that's the case here (and if other people don't see the same problem then they ain't gonna FIX IT unless the difference can be quantified somehow.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          FWIW seems to be on by default in Fedora 13 and current git head of xf86-video-ati.
          Are you sure you don't have it enabled in xorg.conf? On Ubuntu 10.04 + -ati from current git is still disabled:
          Code:
          (II) RADEON(0): KMS Color Tiling: disabled
          Or maybe the Fedora -ati is patched. Anyway it would be nice to have it enabled by default.

Comment

The easiest way to know if somethings is wrong on your end is to test a live version of fedora. Many dev are using fedora and we are at least 2 trying to make sure fedora has the lastest stuff and works properly.

Also it seems that KDE is a lot more problematic with KMS than GNOME. KDE does thing differently and it seems to be path that we haven't paid much attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
              Also it seems that KDE is a lot more problematic with KMS than GNOME. KDE does thing differently and it seems to be path that we haven't paid much attention to.
              Something similar to domain handling (GetImage) ?
              Is there still some KDE related improvements pending ? If so, do we expect them in Kernel DRM or in the DDX ?
              Just curious...

Comment

FWIW, I haven't experienced and KMS-related issues with KDE.

What sort of problems do users report? I don't think that they are generally issues affecting everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  FWIW, I haven't experienced and KMS-related issues with KDE.
                  Actually with an uptodate stack on r700, KDE4 feels pretty sharp.
                  Still remains, in some specific occasions without compositing, barely noticeable redraw delays when switching windows/desktops.

This is the issue I used to be obsessed on...
                  Because KDE3 on a old Xpress200M running old XAA driver (4 years old stack, never updated) still remains snappier than the above...

Comment

I registered just to point out that KMS is also slower for me, but I deduce from what said bridgman that it's probably caused by my weak P4 CPU.

What bothers me the most is that r300g is also slower here while everyone seems to claim the contrary. For example, openarena is easily playable with classic mesa but with gallium I experience huge fps drops, I would say that it goes down to something like 2-3fps (I did'nt find any way to display the fps so I can't tell exactly).

I pull mesa git every day to test r300g. I'm using kernel 2.6.34-rc5, libdrm 2.4.20, mesa 7.8 for the classic driver and xorg 1.8.0 if these versions can help.

Also, my card is RV350 based, AGP and anyway, thank you all developers, keep up the good work !

Comment

There may be an AGP vs PCIE difference here as well. That seems to be the other common factor to people seeing lower performance with the new stack. Make sure you're running the latest -ati (X driver) as well.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X