Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's clear

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Without firmware updates for your HARDWARE players you just can not play current titles when the encryption changes, that's clear or not?
    If the AACS-LA revokes the keys used by a hardware player, then all subsequent Blu-ray discs published will not be usable on that player until there is a firmware update loaded. That's clear. You'll still be able to play older titles.

The only time anyone plugs their hardware player into an internet connection is if they have one of those fancy new players that can do Youtube and stuff.

Therefore I don't think the AACS-LA would revoke the key of a non-fancy hardware player, because it would cause too much trouble with people complaining that their players have stopped working with new titles.

There's probably not too many ways with a hardware player that you can improve the security of the keys AFTER the player has been manufactured, so there'd be minimal benefit to revoking the keys and having everyone in the world with that player do an immensely-annoying firmware update.

The attackers would just get the new keys every three months when they are issued, and legitimate Bluray users would have to lug their hardware player and TV into their computer room every three months to get a new key. I don't think the AACS-LA would bother putting people through that, and I don't think Sony/Samsung/LG would like the volume of support calls they'd get from tech-illiterate people. The manufacturers would beg AACS-LA NOT to revoke the keys, for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
      What we really need is an open standard for high definition discs, that will not have DRM. Work on this needs to start straight away, to support 4k resolution in 3D. By the time display technology catches up, there will already be a standard (ours) for putting this content onto discs, and it would have a chance of gaining traction simply for being the first standard and hopefully the first fully-implemented standard.
      I completely agree. That's the real and final solution to the problem. Of course the movie industry will not like it, but this would be amazing for the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
      X