Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is Mono worse than other projects that implement Microsoft technologies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Mono worse than other projects that implement Microsoft technologies?

How is Mono worse than other projects which provide an alternative implementation of Microsoft technologies and APIs?

How is Mono worse than Wine? Why should I hate Mono and not hate Wine for the same reasons?

Are people who have a profound hate for Mono hypocritical for not sharing the same hate for Wine and other projects that implement Microsoft technologies and APIs?

Patents.

As I see it, the issue isn't the technology itself per-se, it's the implementation. Some parts of Mono are not covered by the community promise made my microsoft.

Miguel de Icaza even admitted that himself: http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jul-06.html

Astute readers will point out that Mono contains much more than the ECMA standards, and they will be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      Patents.

As I see it, the issue isn't the technology itself per-se, it's the implementation. Some parts of Mono are not covered by the community promise made my microsoft.

Miguel de Icaza even admitted that himself: http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jul-06.html
      So effing what?

Wine is not covered by a community promise at all, so it's even worse - yet noone cares. I wonder why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        How is Mono worse than other projects which provide an alternative implementation of Microsoft technologies and APIs?

How is Mono worse than Wine? Why should I hate Mono and not hate Wine for the same reasons?

Are people who have a profound hate for Mono hypocritical for not sharing the same hate for Wine and other projects that implement Microsoft technologies and APIs?
        It's not only because of patents, but mono is hell slow, immature and resource consuming. Some people say it's lightyears behind java in some things (like implementation of garbage collector), but java is slow and resource consuming too. There are also many mono fanboys and evangelist who behave like idiots and who say idiotic things like: "don't talk about mono if you didn't write a mono app" - Icaza. I don't have to write a single mono application to say it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          So effing what?

Wine is not covered by a community promise at all, so it's even worse - yet noone cares. I wonder why that is.
          Probably nobody will sue you for playing Windows games. Wine isn't a core part of Linux distribution and mono boys want to make Linux mono dependent.

Comment

Wine is used to _run_ Windows applications on Linux, not to _write_ Linux applications depending on Microsoft tech and patents.

Comment

Wine is used as an excuse to write win32 applications instead of cross-platform applications (Qt, GTK, Wx, whatever). It has hurt Linux much more than Mono ever will.

Comment

So effing what?

Because Wine doesn't need it:

We're back to the implementation bit.

Comment

Mono is a white room implementation of .Net, just like Wine is a white room implementation of the win32 API.

Patent problems affect both equally.

Comment

Wine is used as an excuse to write win32 applications instead of cross-platform applications (Qt, GTK, Wx, whatever). It has hurt Linux much more than Mono ever will.
                    You forgot SDL... SDL is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X