Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88

Thread: Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    Not sure what's your point.
    If ATI wants to compete on my money (And I'm not talking about one workstation a year...), they can and -should- do better. I find it unacceptable that their binary driver has yet to support Xorg 7.4 (F12) when 7.5 is out (F13 in ~2 weeks) and 7.6 is on its way.
    Oh god not another Fedora user...

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    The reason for the "premature exposure" is because Phoronix was told by Valve that they were switching to Webkit and releasing Linux, Mac, and Windows versions of their new Steam client simultaneously. Well, hopefully it will be simultaneously, otherwise they at least told them they would release a Linux client, but that's the reason behind all their close tracking of Steam issues is to drum up hype. That's why Phoronix has always just said "see! see!" and everyone went "wut?...pfff whatever" because Phoronix new for sure, but couldn't say it due to their contract with Valve. Everyone here has read several articles about it, and Slashdot and other sites have linked to them, so that's a lot better than a SINGLE article about it. Quite simply, "hype" has the potential to reach a larger audience, because when it is finally released, it will probably reverberate more loudly among the "primed" audience.

    You all just watch, I'll be proven correct when the new Steam is finally released. :P

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    "new"..."knew"...*sigh* I love you 1 minute edit rule! ^^

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Oh god not another Fedora user...
    Yeah because graphics on linux suck because Xorg, mesa, whatever sucks. Then along comes fedora that employs people to work on Xorg, and turn it into a decent display system.

    Then proprietary graphics drivers don't work on this new system, and fedora sucks. Damn you fedora fanboys...

    As for me, still waiting for KMS on proprietary display drivers. And xrandr 1.2.
    Last edited by [Knuckles]; 04-26-2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: typooo

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    As for me, still waiting for KMS on proprietary display drivers. And xrandr 1.2.
    Out of which KMS will likely never happen, xrandr maybe some day. Closed drivers afaik have something somewhat similar to KMS (though focus in functionality is more on X, not consoles).

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    The reason for the "premature exposure" is because Phoronix was told by Valve that they were switching to Webkit and releasing Linux, Mac, and Windows versions of their new Steam client simultaneously. Well, hopefully it will be simultaneously, otherwise they at least told them they would release a Linux client, but that's the reason behind all their close tracking of Steam issues is to drum up hype. That's why Phoronix has always just said "see! see!" and everyone went "wut?...pfff whatever" because Phoronix new for sure, but couldn't say it due to their contract with Valve. Everyone here has read several articles about it, and Slashdot and other sites have linked to them, so that's a lot better than a SINGLE article about it. Quite simply, "hype" has the potential to reach a larger audience, because when it is finally released, it will probably reverberate more loudly among the "primed" audience.

    You all just watch, I'll be proven correct when the new Steam is finally released. :P
    I really wish that was true, but I don't see that happening. Here's my thinking/observations:

    1) The Windows client update is scheduled to be released specifically today, whereas the Mac version will be released "by the end of the month".

    2) It makes more sense to do these on separate days so that you don't have your technical resources split if you run into multiple issues.

    3) They've hyped the Mac version for two months. Why would they do that, and keep the Linux version "secret"?

    4) It makes sense to release the Mac and Linux client in two different marketing blitzkriegs - so that you get free advertising from the tech sites for Steam on two separate occasions.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    So as an ex-R500 user, I think its rather a policy of amd/ati to give sorta linux support to linux user customers.
    Actually, it's a policy of supporting workstation users first and foremost- gaming use and general use by Linux users doesn't largely register on their radar (at least it didn't some four years or so ago...that's somewhat changed with them giving the xorg community unfettered access to most of the secrets to driving their hardware...).

    As an observation, much of the CAD, etc. stuff that works under Linux use immediate mode operations (yes...) and they much less use the "fastpath" stuff that games tend to use or things like shaders- mainly because they're using fairly mature codebases that the companies are loathe to mess with.

    This has the result of if it worked well, it stays working reasonably well. That's why NVidia's seems to be better- they got more of it "right" out of the gate. AMD's drivers started off with less robust answers for things until recently and unless it's a workstation vendor or someone like iD or Epic that complain about something busted, it may take a bit to get someone on it because resources on the Linux side of things is somewhat limited, even in the NVidia camp. This is why while it's still not fully showing fruit, I'm glad that AMD had the wisdom to allow us a shot at making credible FOSS drivers for their parts.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Oh god not another Fedora user...
    ROFLMAO! I'm sure that people say the same thing about Gentoo, Arch, Mint, and Ubuntu users as well.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

    The past few days we have been reporting on Valve's Steam client coming to Linux (and some of the Source Engine games too) soon as we had found Linux references within the Steam Mac OS X client and then other Linux references. We even ended up finding the unreleased Linux files on the Valve servers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE3OA
    Michal... While it's nice that you get scoops like this- it's probably "better" if you wait a smidge before disrupting things for the vendors like this go at things. If I got my planned rollout leaked like this, I'd have at least fleeting second thoughts on the matter as a result.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    As an observation, much of the CAD, etc. stuff that works under Linux use immediate mode operations (yes...) and they much less use the "fastpath" stuff that games tend to use or things like shaders- mainly because they're using fairly mature codebases that the companies are loathe to mess with.
    Which is unfortunate, because the modern API is so much faster, and geometry shaders are especially helpful for subdivisioning.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •