Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    If you really want more games on Linux, then increase the market share of Linux. It's that simple. The more users there are, the more consideration it will receive from companies.
    If you want more linux user, make gaming work (and stop putting early alpha package in end-user distribution like KDE 4.1 in all major distribution )

Phoronix, i follow you for years now and i have to tell i find that trying to make sensation like this is not your real skill

Comment

Valve has made no (public) plans to release a linux client. Just because files existed on some server does not mean they will release a linux client - it's just that someone has at the very least looked into the technical side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by pdusen View Post
        For another thing, the graphics situation on Linux, although rapidly improving, is still relatively abysmal. If I were Valve, I probably wouldn't even consider releasing a Linux port for probably another year or so; who's going to buy games that, in 90% of cases, run like crap?
        Can we end this FUD campaign already?
        According to Valve's own surveys [1] more than 60% of their Windows users are using nVidia hardware.
        Compare this to Phoronix's own survey (you'll need to do some digging), and you'll see that someone that's even remotely interested in gaming under Linux is usually using nVidia hardware coupled with the nVidia binary driver - which performs under Linux just as good as it does under Windows. (Most likely because they share the same code).

Sure, ATI drivers have yet to reach the nVidia level, but their ATI's drivers, even under Windows, were always their soft spot.

Valve should not have any problems targeting nVidia + binary (ID has been doing it for years now... Same goes [to same extent] for Epic and LGP).

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

[1] Missing link (Can't edit):
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            just look up AMD's finacial reports and size. Then think a moment about linux marketshare. And suddenly you must realize that AMD is pouring an almost insane amount of money into its linux user base.
            And all they get back is bitching.
            You make it sound like charity. Maybe AMD should file for tax-exempt status But no I don't agree with this at all. To be honest I don't think they are contributing enough to the Linux graphics stack, especially when compared to VMware and Red Hat. But maybe this "insane amount of money" they are pouring into Linux is going to too much management and this is where the problem is.

And people are bitching because they are unhappy with the current state of the ATI drivers. What do you expect them do, sing Hallelujah?

But anyway we are dwelling off-topic here.

Comment

they are releasing documentation for all of their hardware. Not too long ago people were yelling 'give us docs, we do the rest and in mere month we will have superduper?berdrivers'. Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                they are releasing documentation for all of their hardware. Not too long ago people were yelling 'give us docs, we do the rest and in mere month we will have superduper?berdrivers'. Hmm...
                Actually they are doing more.
                They are giving the docs -and- having employees work on the OSS driver, and as far as I know their OSS driver (at least for the older chipset) is progressing -very- nicely. (Though I doubt that it could be used for games - even in the long run).

In an ideal world, AMD/ATI and nVidia would have released the code and work with the community on an OSS driver (Much like Intel does).
                We don't live in an ideal world, but AMD is doing its best.

... Which doesn't make their binary drivers, good, mind you.

- Gilboa

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  They are giving the docs -and- having employees work on the OSS driver, and as far as I know their OSS driver (at least for the older chipset) is progressing -very- nicely. (Though I doubt that it could be used for games - even in the long run).

In an ideal world, AMD/ATI and nVidia would have released the code and work with the community on an OSS driver (Much like Intel does).
                  We don't live in an ideal world, but AMD is doing its best.
                  EXACTLY. And all they get is bitching.

... Which doesn't make their binary drivers, good, mind you.

- Gilboa
                  and if you think fglrxy sucks, you are free to help to make the OSS driver perfect. So people have no reason to bitch around.

Comment

The Gallium3D driver (nouveau in my case) actually runs HL2 in Wine. Only with -dxlevel 60 and its performance is so bad that it's unplayable. But it doesn't crash. It also runs any game you can find in the software repositories. Once OpenGL support reaches 2.x, nothing on the driver side will prevent Linux gaming.

Comment

HoN, a rather recent linux-native game is working just fine on the r300 gallium-driver. I guess by the time the Source-games are released for Linux, it will be able to handle them just fine as well (the "old" ones atleast, like HL2), judging by the speed they're progressing.

Comment

Working...
                      X