Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Yeah, but it's more than that. Graphics done in a portable way is pretty trivial, that's OpenGL nowadays here but it stops immediately after that. What should be used for sound? OpenAL? PulseAudio? ALSA? What should be used for input? After all, Microsoft's DirectX is a lot more than just a graphics framework and offers tons more starting from network functionality and input devices to game developers. SDL is afaik one solution that's also pretty wide but I'm not sure if it's taken wind well.
    Anything. sdl-input takes care about input. sdl-mixer about sound. You can compile the latter against alsa, or against oss, or against pulseaudio(this is what I choose). It can take care of things, believe me Unless dev wants to talk directly. But then he should write directly anyway, something that ID guys did.
    So SDL basically brings more lazy programmers to linux(and all other oses it supports).

Comment

---edit limit ---
      And Ubuntu or similar linux distro users become sdl very easy installed as dependency.
      Installing it on gentoo is very simple too, you just select use flags you want and wait 20 seconds for it to emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        Anything. sdl-input takes care about input. sdl-mixer about sound. You can compile the latter against alsa, or against oss, or against pulseaudio(this is what I choose). It can take care of things, believe me Unless dev wants to talk directly. But then he should write directly anyway, something that ID guys did.
        So SDL basically brings more lazy programmers to linux(and all other oses it supports).
        But why exactly should they talk to the things directly? Especially with audio isn't it a better thing that the developer doesn't need to care which audio backend we have? And imo making Linux comfortable platform to write useful programs for lazy programmers too (as in, that we don't get tons of half-baked programs when lazy programmers can actually focus on the core of the software) is a good way to make it more inviting for end-users too since we probably get more games made that way.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          But why exactly should they talk to the things directly? Especially with audio isn't it a better thing that the developer doesn't need to care which audio backend we have? And imo making Linux comfortable platform to write useful programs for lazy programmers too (as in, that we don't get tons of half-baked programs when lazy programmers can actually focus on the core of the software) is a good way to make it more inviting for end-users too since we probably get more games made that way.
          Ask wikipedia about minuetOS. I dont know why, but, ugh. If they need it, they can always do it...

Comment

Sorry, menuetOS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MenuetOS

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you think Nvidia may create opensource driver someday?

Comment

Not in the next two years. When they lost as much as everything they might re-consider.

Comment

Well I voted for yes, however the problem is AMD's implementation won't be ready for another 2-3 years. As you know PC hardware fades like crazy, a brand spanking flagship product will be a mediocre performer within a year. With Nvidia you get the benefit of performance and functionality instantly, while with AMD you have to wait really long, long to the point when the hardware is outdated to useless piece of junk Linux will start to pick function and speed up by then (r300g anyone? who uses an X800 now?). This makes their hardware virtually useless unless you do dual boot to Windows to play games.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                    With Nvidia you get the benefit of performance and functionality instantly
                    The same with fglrx except video acceleration.

while with AMD you have to wait really long, long to the point when the hardware is outdated
                    Compare apples with apples. Concerning nouveau, the whole GeForce family from 256 up to GTX200 has started to breath just recently too.

to useless piece of junk Linux will start to pick function and speed up by then (r300g anyone? who uses an X800 now?).
                    I think all the work on r600g will get merged to master soon if it makes you happy.

Comment

The problem is, comparing fglrx to nvidia binary blob is not apple to apple, but more like comparing a rotten stinky apple corpse to a fresh juicy apple. :P Please don't use fglrx as the response to 'benefit of performance and functionality' because it got none of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X