Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

Because of this and this, I have desided to switch from Nvidia Geforce 9800 gt green to AMD Radeon HD4770 and support AMD from now on.

Nvidia is closing the last opensource driver they maintained and their main driver in essence is windows driver, remapped to posix; whilst AMD has improved native opensource linux stack, now with OpenGL acceleration.

I do NOT feel like supporting Nvidia "efforts" anymore!

------
    HD4770 is my best option, because its R700, which already has 3D accel, unlike tba R800; and it is the only chip in 40nm fab in whole HD4xxx series, which means its efficient. The problem - it is HARD to find.

Because I need upgrade anyway, I desided to go straight and purchase amd cpu and motherboard as well. Intel, while also supporting opensource, did not provide enough GPU power for ocassional gaming and for exact same amount of money, I prefer 4 real cores instead of 2 real 2 HT'ed(i3-540).

Check it out and you are free to change as well, to show you care for opensource AMD on GNU/Linux.

s775 Dual Core E5300--> sAM3 Athlon II X3 630
    Asrock P43ME ---> Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
    Gainward 9800GT Green--->Powercolor HD4770 + AC Accelero L2
    4 gb of ddr2 ram converted to ddr3...

Initially targeted XFX HD4770 for blow-out airpipe, I was unable to find it in my region. So here comes Powercolor card with aftermarket cooling. This knife was the only "screwdriver" which passed to original screws on the powercolor card. Nobody was hurt in the process.

Attaching stuff:

Home rig, running gentoo64:

Before, notice Gf9800gt in the slot:
    Yes, I will.
    82.28%
    No, I stay Nvidia and enjoy binary blobs.
    11.39%
    I dont know.
    6.33%

Hot stuff! Nvidia is banned!:

Intel E5300 leaving as well:

Thats it! X4 630 and HD4770 in place:

Im running this machine now

Thats 350? invested in your hardware as an appreciation of what you do to opensource community! Thanks AMD!

Comment

Great move :-)

Which distribution are you using? If it's Ubuntu (10.04 LTS), please remember they do not ship with Mesa 7.8 which offers OpenGL 2 support for the card. It shouldn't be too long until the r600g (Gallium3D) development starts though, fun times

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Great move :-)

Which distribution are you using? If it's Ubuntu (10.04 LTS), please remember they do not ship with Mesa 7.8 which offers OpenGL 2 support for the card. It shouldn't be too long until the r600g (Gallium3D) development starts though, fun times
        Gentoo x86_64
        I added kernel, xorg and all drivers with ~ keyword (testing); now running gentoo-kernel 2.6.33-r1, xorg 1.8, libdrm 2.4.20, used "fat" kernel cfg from ubuntu build as a base and plan to build sleek kernel tomorrow using kernelseeds

But I always have Ubuntu on-a-stick just for the case

Comment

Erm.. the cpu is Athlon II X4 630. Not X3. I cannot edit first post :/

Also, sorry for spelling, its of course "deCide". Lol, 2 mistakes in the post header, need more sleep.. :/

Comment

So which poll option should I select? The only non-AMD-CPUs I've used in a desktop were M680x0 and I finally replaced my nvidia GPU last december.

HD4770 is a pretty good choice. If I didn't want the third display, I'd have chosen that one, too.

I noticed that your cat is suspiciously absent from the photos once you used that knife. Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Because of this and this, I have desided to switch from Nvidia Geforce 9800 gt green to AMD Radeon HD4770 and support AMD from now on.

Nvidia is closing the last opensource driver they maintained and their main driver in essence is windows driver, remapped to posix; whilst AMD has improved native opensource linux stack, now with OpenGL acceleration.
              In all fairness the second link you posted regards the r300g driver, looking at the commit logs and the copyright of the source files this driver is mostly an effort of Corbin Simpson and Marek Ol??k. A third party effort not much to do with AMD. I think something similar is going for NVidia cards with the nouveau driver.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                So which poll option should I select? The only non-AMD-CPUs I've used in a desktop were M680x0 and I finally replaced my nvidia GPU last december.

HD4770 is a pretty good choice. If I didn't want the third display, I'd have chosen that one, too.

I noticed that your cat is suspiciously absent from the photos once you used that knife. Coincidence?
                Thanks!
                She is fine, Im actually happy she allowed me to replace the hardware You know, the amount of statical electricity...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  In all fairness the second link you posted regards the r300g driver, looking at the commit logs and the copyright of the source files this driver is mostly an effort of Corbin Simpson and Marek Ol??k. A third party effort not much to do with AMD. I think something similar is going for NVidia cards with the nouveau driver.
                  What I have meant is Gallium3D.
                  I see impressive amount of work done on it and AMD supporting it.
                  Noveau is not supported (I think its even hated, since they pointed to vesa driver) by nvidia.

Comment

Hey, no option for "I'm already AMD"

Comment

Working...
                    X