Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been following this thread, in excitement to see what you great people are able to do with the Linux build.

I have a theory.

You know before Valve announced Steam on Mac, they posted a bunch of pictures of Valve games in Mac Ads, to tease all the Mac fans.

Well do you think this is Linux Users teaser to Steam on Linux. Since Linux users are traditional geeks and coders, we get given an uncompleted build of Steam, and they expect us to hack it to work out how to get it working. Once we get it working, they will official announce that steam is coming to linux.

Anyone agree with me???

Comment

• Heh, I was actually going to suggest the same thing Flashy ads for the Apple people, and hints hidden in shell scripts for the Linux crowd.

Valve does have a history of being quite sneaky.

Comment

• Here is another screen by Kame by using some option in the command line.

Comment

• haha, i found refrences to steams source code inside of steamui.so

/home/VALVE/rackadmin/buildslave/steam_main_linux/build/src/vgui2/controls/../../vgui2/controls/TextEntry.cpp

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            mastertheknife is a legend. If you followed #phoronix, you would have read that he did it:

Where can I find the instructions to get there?

Comment

• Originally posted by aliendude5300 View Post
              Where can I find the instructions to get there?
              yeah, or could you just attach the fixed up version of steam in a zip

Comment

• Originally posted by CRAY4 View Post
                Actually, that would be much better.

Comment

• Instruction by Kame:
                  1. Get latest steam linux client files and put them in a clean folder
                  2. Download http://www.jnumbers.com/mirror/steamui.patch and put it in the linux32 directory
                  3. run bspatch steamui.so steamui.so steamui.patch
                  4. Creat steam.cfg in root steam folder, and add "Universe = store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_linux"
                  5. run LD_PRELOAD=./linux32/steamui.so ./steam.sh

Comment

• ed@ed-desktop:~/steam$ LD_PRELOAD=./linux32/steamui.so ./steam.sh
                    /bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have made sure libsteam.so is in /linux32 directory.

Comment

• Originally posted by CRAY4 View Post
                      That'd be illegal. Remember, this is not opensource-software.

Comment

Working...
                      X