Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
    what would this mean really though? just some games on linux. If the unwashed mases start to use linux where can a geek go.
    You seem like a good fit for OpenBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
      You seem like a good fit for OpenBSD.
      No man he needs to install netbsd (runs on anything) on a sparcstation .... or his toaster.

Comment

It could be that this client is just for valve in-house purposes as linux world of warcraft client is at blizzard.

Comment

It would be nice to play source games without needing to reboot into that other OS... They have OpenGL 3.3/4 and OpenAL already. 64 bit binaries would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
            It would be nice to play source games without needing to reboot into that other OS... They have OpenGL 3.3/4 and OpenAL already. 64 bit binaries would be nice too.
            Do they actually have 64 bit binaries on Windows?

EDIT: that is, I kinda doubt Linux will get 64 bit binaries if even Windows doesn't
            Beat that damn 1 min edit window! :P

Comment

Let's slow down a bit

This is certainly great news. Let's not forget though, that for a company like Valve, development of their games cross-platform is only half the issue. Supporting them after release is just as much of a concern, and they may or may not hold off until they've got a solid grip on how to handle that sort of stuff.
              That being said, with Mac already gaining official traction, it looks like there's definitely a strong possibility that this is going to happen. As their users and potential customers, we should keep asking and making our interest clear. Only when they see the potential benefit to Valve as a company are they going to go full steam ahead, so to speak.
              Personally, I think it will not only be good for the operating systems as gaming platforms, but also for Valve - this can open up a game market on both the Mac and Linux platforms, and Valve would be the first, and for a long while the only, big player to operate in it. Remember, a few years ago nobody thought Steam would ever reach >25M active users - on the 'dead' PC gaming platform, no less.
              Today, all the big publishers are kicking themselves for not doing it first.

Comment

I will certainly buy the orange box Linux version if it becomes available... and... dare I hope, Portal2?

Bah, I guess we should just wait and see.

Comment

Have Michael (or anyone else) been in contact with Valve?

Comment

ocuh ..can you guys connect to the steam forums ? i fear their servers are heavily overloaded..no go for me..timeouts..

Comment

I think this news is little late. April 1st was 21 days ago :P

But if this is real, then valve can be sure I'll buy some games from them.

Comment

Working...
                      X