Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't think for a minute this year there will be one steam based game more for linux then there is now.

On a side note: I'm not into linux because of its excellent game platform or graphics support. Both suck big time and stays this way for several years.

Comment

This is great news! I hope someone can figure out how to get the GUI running soon!

Comment

Now it's just a matter of "when" now and I hope it will come this year, not too long after the Mac release, then we will probably also finally see better support for ATI's proprietary drivers. Who knows, maybe they'll even come to a point where they can really compete with Nvidia's proprietary drivers on Linux.

Hopefully they'll consider porting it to 64 bit so we'll get full support for 64 bit games such as Unigine engine based games, S2 games, Vendetta Online, etc. But I'm ok with that being worked on after the 32 bit release.

I personally hope that people won't bug them about the Linux package that has been posted recently. They haven't said anything official yet so it's not 100% sure yet. Just let them take their time and don't discourage them.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
          ocuh ..can you guys connect to the steam forums ? i fear their servers are heavily overloaded..no go for me..timeouts..
          Nope, the servers indeed seem to be overloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by aliendude5300 View Post
            This is great news! I hope someone can figure out how to get the GUI running soon!

So do I. I ran strings on the steam binary, grepping for offline (found a -offline switch, used it trying to bypass the update check thing on run). It breaks hard (fatal error, steam needs to be online to update). I have yet to dig anything up that would point to a bypass for this.

Any supernerds out there wanna see if we can see how much of this thing runs?

Comment

I quickly hacked a script to automatically download and extract the steam client. It will also update the client files if valve would upload new zip files.
              You can find it here: http://pastie.org/930514

Comment

When I tried to run the 'steam' executable located in the 'linux32' dir I ended up with:

Code:
                [  0%] !!! Fatal Error: Failed to determine download location for universe 0
                [----] Verifying installation...
                [  0%] Downloading Update...
                [  0%] !!! Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so
                CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating.  0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
                CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
                CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 0 multi object alertable sleeps
                After "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<PATH_TO_linux32_DIR>" [i686 arch/32-bit] I got it to query some server stuff at least:

Code:
                [----] Verifying installation...
                [  0%] Downloading Update...
                unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
                CellID: Fetching server list from CSDS. . .
                CellID: CSDS returned 168 servers.
                CellID: Connecting to 203.77.185.184:27031. . .
                CellID: Connect to 203.77.185.184:27031 took 346 MS
                CellID: New Best!
                CellID: Connecting to 69.28.186.162:27031. . .
                CellID: Connect to 69.28.186.162:27031 took 149 MS
                Shutting down. . .
                CellID: Connecting to 209.197.1.26:27031. . .
                CellID: Connect to 209.197.1.26:27031 took 236 MS
                CellID: Connecting to 203.77.185.185:27031. . .
                CellID: Connect to 203.77.185.185:27031 took 328 MS
                CellID: Connecting to 79.141.173.2:27031. . .
                CellID: Connect to 79.141.173.2:27031 took 61 MS
                unlinked 2 orphaned pipes
                CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating.  0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
                CAsyncIOManager: 1185 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
                CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 1 multi object alertable sleeps

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
                  I quickly hacked a script to automatically download and extract the steam client. It will also update the client files if valve would upload new zip files.
                  You can find it here: http://pastie.org/930514
                  nice little script

unfortunately I'm the rare one that can't run even with errors;

Code:
                  gav ~/games/nixsteam/steam $  ./steam.sh
                  ./steam.sh: line 49: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
                  ./steam.sh: line 63:  4662 Illegal instruction     ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} $@

Comment

Maybe you should just remember, that Postal? should be Linux nativ too and it uses the Source Engine.

Comment

Oh well, these are old 'news'.
                      Sorry, my bad - should've read the other threads as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X