Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my errors are to do with my CPU id, is anyone else not even been able to start the program?

CPU Athlon XP 3200+
    GPU nVidia 6200
    MOB nForce 2

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      You can get them off Mac OS X version and then a SteamAppData.vdf off the Windows version, which one of the files ended up getting me to a further step of verifying the installation data, but still got a bit more to go to get where I want it to be...
      It doesn't look like it's SteamAppData.vdf --- do you get the config file after running the mac version? I don't see it in any of the distributed files.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Is the shortest script searched then or what
        Code:
        wget -qO- http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_linux|awk -F\" '/file/{print $4}'|wget -i- -NB http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/
        unzip -o -d steam \*.zip.\*
        chmod +x steam/steam.sh steam/linux32/steam
        steam/steam.sh
        Very nice! But it would be much better like this, since there will probably be more than just linux32 in the future, such as linux64...

Code:
        chmod +x steam/steam.sh steam/*/steam

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
          Also here. But it will return to normal after a while.
          I can also reproduce this problem. However, it didn't return to normal until I rebooted the X server.

Comment

Originally posted by aliendude5300 View Post
            I can also reproduce this problem. However, it didn't return to normal until I rebooted the X server.
            My fix for the solution is to just go to the GNOME menu and launch a new program (like GNOME's Calculator) and that restores the cursor.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@aliendude5300

I highly doubt that there will be a 64 bit linux version soon. Also i think an official installer will come out before that happens

This was mainly to show that scripts can be always written shorter. Using only curl is even shorter but thats only preinstalled on fedora - wget is there on debian usally. Well you always need unzip...

Comment

Excellent. Hopefully, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris and Haiku ports are next!

Seriously though, Source games on Linux: Want. Steam will definitely be coming, but the games? If they are, it might just be HL2 and CS:S initially, maybe Portal 2. But even that would rock.

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
                  Seriously though, Source games on Linux: Want. Steam will definitely be coming, but the games? If they are, it might just be HL2 and CS:S initially, maybe Portal 2. But even that would rock.
                  If they are sucessful to port the Source Engine, then most games should come at little cost after that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    I'm starting to like the picture, actually. Maybe this will bring some sanity to distro development.
                    Hopefully! Perhaps give the Linux Standard Base project a boost in the right direction, whatever it takes to solve the lack of a universal software installation mechanism(s) problem(s). It shouldn't matter what distro you're on, or if the software you're attempting to install is closed or open source, but a program should always be able to ask for the libraries it needs to use and get them installed on any distro, install itself, put a menu shortcut in for the user to launch it, and register with the software add/remove mechanism so the user can easily remove it later if they should so choose.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Linux support a nightmare? bla bla bla bla...

Epic ever had a problem? id ever had a problem? Fscking astroturfing nonsence FUD...
                      Support for newbies is a bit different but not too bad... While most command-line programs will be there across distros, just dealing with a different user interface can be a challenge. Fortunately, Gnome and KDE are mostly the same across distros and are pretty standard, so I mostly agree with you and don't think it's that huge of a concern.

Yes, there will be issues encountered which are only effecting certain distros and versions, but that's really just one more thing to throw into the mix as you already have support dealing with certainly problems only effecting certain hardware, and different Windows versions, etc, so it will be like anything else support has to deal with. What you could have if all else fails is simply a select few distros and versions that you officially support that you can tell someone "okay, well I apologize, and we're still investigating whether or not the issue is due to your sound card or not, but until then we haven't ever had this problem with Fedora/Ubuntu/whatever version whatever, so we'd recommend trying it there from a liveCD or USB installation" blahblahblah...just some ideas. ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X