Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    They could be developing the client on Linux for Mac OS X. The fact that the files have support for Linux does not mean that they actually intend to support it. The best that you can conclude that Linux users will get is unofficial support without an official announcement.
    This is sadly too often the case, and it could be by design or it could be more "natural". But regardless, even if Valve doesn't shout too loudly about Linux support or if they end up burying the visibility of Linux support due to some Microsoft Money or whatever reasons, the blogs, YouTube videos, forums, news sites, and other Internet noise via the usual social networking / community / collaborative pathways will make up for that.

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/public...m_client_linux just started 404'ing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        My fix for the solution is to just go to the GNOME menu and launch a new program (like GNOME's Calculator) and that restores the cursor.
        Not sure if its the same thing you are talking about but I launched the steam executable and my mouse disappeared, I think it might be related to compiz, I hit alt+F2 and ran compiz --replace and everything went back to normal. I did notice the the mouse cursor appeared over icons on my desktop but no where else.

Comment

Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
          Not sure if its the same thing you are talking about but I launched the steam executable and my mouse disappeared, I think it might be related to compiz, I hit alt+F2 and ran compiz --replace and everything went back to normal. I did notice the the mouse cursor appeared over icons on my desktop but no where else.
          That reminds me, steam should have a feature hard-coded into it to disable compiz when launching a game and then re enable it after leaving the game. Anyone have any idea if compiz has such capabilities built into its libs that applications can disable/suspend it with a simple library call?

Comment

It's not compiz related. This also happens without compiz.

Comment

Allow me to give my two cents here:

It's coming to Linux, if you do a bit of research, it's completely logical.

How did I reach this conclusion?

Postal 3 is coming to Linux, natively. Running With Scissors and their various development partners have been using the Source Engine with their new game, and they're promising native Linux and OSX support, meaning that Valve is probably using their ported versions of the engine and simply developing the Steam client to accommodate the users and make it easier for RWS to get their cash by using Steam's authentication system. Almost every game running on the Source engine has been released on Steam (save the Kuma games), so it's an obvious choice for RWS to use Steam as their content delivery system.

Time for me to excitedly twiddle my thumbs until Valve confirms this.

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/public...m_client_linux is gone.. bins_linux.zip.232c70b3e732009cab1858499ca4f1c92ff d7367 and steam_linux.zip.52367793a26b83abc84871770277e1b8d7 7608bc too...
                Ideas?

Comment

Maybe to much traffic generated by this forum and news sites referring to this news, like Golem.de and WinFuture from germany.

Comment

Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
                    Maybe to much traffic generated by this forum and news sites referring to this news, like Golem.de and WinFuture from germany.
                    I think they pulled it, probably because they realized people were accessing it without it even being announced yet. Regardless, we now have some major proof of a Linux client in the works...

Comment

Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
                      The xserver is making a login box for steam but there must be some missing function calls to dependencies to create the actual login dialog. It has nothing to do with compiz.

Can't wait for PacSteamLinux.

Comment

Working...
                      X