No announcement yet.

Yet More Signs Of Valve's Steam On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It worked about 5 years ago and to check if it really works today, I just verified, that it works 5min ago. I logged in with the save password checkbox checked, logged off, unplugged the wan-connection, started steam again and used the offline mode function. It also finds my local cs:s server on the other machine. And I can join the game successfully.

IT IS WORKING!!!

Comment

I have to agree with the rest of them unfortunately. when I'm on a bus there is nothing more than I like to do than play a game. It really gets me when I'm at home with a few hours to kill that I have to play games then.

Comment

Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
        IT IS WORKING!!!
        Tell this the majority of people where this is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          Can people stop with that "offline" myth? It's not working... never has... never will.
          It has actually worked fyi. Whether it works at the moment I do not know, I have not booted windows is over 6months

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Tell this the majority of people where this is not working.
            I used it years ago, and my internet wsa down for 2 hours a few days ago and I used it then also. Worked perfectly fine.

Stop bitching about problems that don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurotetsu View Post
              Well, with Steam moving over to WebKit that won't be the case anymore. It'll be Safari in disguise instead!
              Or Chrome...or anything else that uses it. I was thinking they were going to use Gecko, but Webkit is definitely good too if not better...maybe one day Firefox will move to Webkit. lol

Comment

Steam DRM test (haven't tried it and won't until there's a Linux client):

1) Copy a game to a new computer, including perhaps any needed Steam files if those need to come along with it too, and make sure that after copying the files over, it is completely firewalled or it's network connectivity is completely disabled.
                2) Play.

If you cannot play, Steam programs are DRMed, as requiring authentication to centralized servers before you can use some software, especially of course software which allows single-player etc, is DRM.

Will their servers always allow you to play your game? What if they go offline? What if the game simply stops being "supported" by the DRM? Will they then release that control over to you? Etc.

Of course, any of you are free to pay for even a single ride on the software roller coaster, that's fine, and I myself do so sometimes, but I'd prefer to have the opportunity to invest in open source programs instead especially when I know my monetary support won't be misused.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  I used it years ago, and my internet wsa down for 2 hours a few days ago and I used it then also. Worked perfectly fine.

Stop bitching about problems that don't exist.
                  Me and tons of others will testify exactly the opposite. Here (and with many others) it's IMPOSSIBLE to play offline. Steam always fills your ear with not having a fucking internet connection. And since I'm by a long shot not the only person with this problem I hook it up as "non-working". A volatile service is as useless as a totally broken one.

Comment

iirc the offline mode has to be enabled before actually going offline oO It has worked for me in the past but I havn't tried in the last 8months since couldn't be arsed with booting win...

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                      iirc the offline mode has to be enabled before actually going offline oO It has worked for me in the past but I havn't tried in the last 8months since couldn't be arsed with booting win...
                      So the question could be can you copy Steam and games, after you have "gone into offline mode", to another computer and play them. It's still scary though that you first have to authenticate before going into offline mode though, that ruins it, because if the servers went down and you hadn't gone into "offline mode" yet, you're screwed in a bad way.

Comment

Working...
                      X