XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe will it work on ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe will it work on ubuntu

I am looking at a new system and just starting with a linux based OS.
    I a newb with linux. I am thinking of starting with Ubuntu

Now i read that Ati Radeon cards work with ubuntu
    Would this XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe still work with the radeon drivers for ubuntu.

Mainly i want to get World of Warcraft running on ubuntu.
    I havnt bought the system yet. Its a barebones system bundle that i will put together my self. But the graphiccard that comes with it is
    XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe.

Does anyone got any help for me?

The card will work out of the box (and have 3D on Lucid), but you'll need the proprietary ATI driver (fglrx/Catalyst) to play WoW ( http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram )

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      The card will work out of the box (and have 3D on Lucid), but you'll need the proprietary ATI driver (fglrx/Catalyst) to play WoW ( http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram )
      Asus M4A785-M Motherboard
      AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor
      Kingston 2GB PC5400 DDR2 Memory
      XFX Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
      500gb Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive
      PowerUp ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with 450-Watt Power Supply

I checked that website link it says the r700 sucks for World of warcraft??? Confused

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Still i am confused. The link you gave me says the r700 drivers make it so you can run World of Warcraft very poorly. Is that site out of date?

Or am i missing something?

I would like to start with ubuntu/linux based OS but seems like thats not going to be an option for playin WoW. But i have Seen youtube videos of people running WoW on linux OS

Comment

That link refers to how programs run with the open source drivers, not the binary (fglrx) drivers. DanL is saying that you need the proprietary drivers to run WoW.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Daygobah View Post
            Still i am confused. The link you gave me says the r700 drivers make it so you can run World of Warcraft very poorly. Is that site out of date?

Or am i missing something?

I would like to start with ubuntu/linux based OS but seems like thats not going to be an option for playin WoW. But i have Seen youtube videos of people running WoW on linux OS
            There are Ubuntu users here and someone will probably comment. Hopefully, someone will confirm but I believe you have to uninstall the open source radeon driver and install the binary (aka fglrx) driver when you want to play WOW.

There's a link at that Xorg page to the FGLRX driver info.

I think Ubuntu has the Restricted Driver Manager so you would run that and it should install the binary ATI driver.

Maybe an explanation of how to switch driver is in order? Just install/uninstall, right, guys? If you want to watch video, the radeon driver is better? An uninstall of the binary driver and the radeon driver is in the repository (where your packages are - check Synaptic Package Manager) will then be used.

I probably said too much but I'm debating upgrading my card to an ATI one so I'm sticking my nose in. Hope something I posted helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              Kano abaut ubuntu 10.04:
              "Btw. do you know the correct way to swith from fglrx to mesa or back? This is different than before as you can switch simply using:
              Code:
              sudo -i
              update-alternatives --config gl_conf
              ldconfig
              update-initramfs -u
              rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
              To switch to fglrx do this additonally:
              Code:
              aticonfig --initial --nobackup
              Then just reboot. Be sure that the kernel you use has all needed kernel headers and is not newer than 2.6.32 for fglrx without any hack. "
              Seems/sounds complicated but okay. So, it can detect and you can instruct which one you want to use?

I don't want to spread false info (RE: my previous post) and I was just asking what to do. It is good to know in case I buy an ATI card myself. Thanks for correcting...

Comment

As an ex-X1950XT user I don't recommend you ati cards unless you wanna use winblowz. ati dropped its support so soon for R100-R500 (in 2009) and many users found themselves out in the open. And ati drivers' video decoding sucks so you can't watch HD content with them. You can have many headaches buying and amd/ati card.

Don't let that happen to you, buy an nVidia GPU!

Wow good rhyme

Comment

Originally posted by Daygobah View Post
                  I am looking at a new system and just starting with a linux based OS.
                  I a newb with linux. I am thinking of starting with Ubuntu

Now i read that Ati Radeon cards work with ubuntu
                  Would this XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe still work with the radeon drivers for ubuntu.

Mainly i want to get World of Warcraft running on ubuntu.
                  I havnt bought the system yet. Its a barebones system bundle that i will put together my self. But the graphiccard that comes with it is
                  XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe.

Does anyone got any help for me?
                  Avoid anything with DDR2 memory! Especially on 128bit or less channel. This isnt linux specific.

If you want ANY 3D, I recommend anything with GDDR3 (notice G before DDR?) memory or higher.

I already had HD4650(128bit ddr2) and performance was very very very worse on a dualcore E5300 than with Gf6800 and Athlon XP! Once I put 9800GT instead of HD4650, it skyrocketed. Now, because I support AMD, I sold nvidia card and got HD4770 - its better than 9800. The problem is - memory and bandwidth. Either GDDR3 with 256 or GDDR5 with 128bit or more; never less!

Avoid anything less GDDR3!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Avoid anything with DDR2 memory! Especially on 128bit or less channel. This isnt linux specific.

If you want ANY 3D, I recommend anything with GDDR3 (notice G before DDR?) memory or higher.

I already had HD4650(128bit ddr2) and performance was very very very worse on a dualcore E5300 than with Gf6800 and Athlon XP! Once I put 9800GT instead of HD4650, it skyrocketed. Now, because I support AMD, I sold nvidia card and got HD4770 - its better than 9800. The problem is - memory and bandwidth. Either GDDR3 with 256 or GDDR5 with 128bit or more; never less!

Avoid anything less GDDR3!
                    I have narrowed my choices to XFX for brand and the following cards:

I would choose the 5770 except for three issues:
                    1) limited to fglrx drivers and questionable support even in Ubuntu 10.04
                    2) price - it's a bit more expensive than the other two cards
                    3) I prefer choice and versatility - card won't be supported in Fedora 13 afaik because of more recent xorg version and recent kernel? I'm just speculating and yes, that's a bit of a brief summary and probably doesn't tell the whole story. But, the fact remains, the card won't work in Fedora 13 for a while?

I want to dual boot these operating systems:
                    Windows XP (sorry), Windows 7 (later...sorry), Ubuntu 10.04 (sorry to Ubuntu haters...lol) and Fedora 13 (hello???)

I have Debian on my laptop...

I'm just wondering whether I should stay safe and go with a 4770 ($100) or 4850 ($130) or WAIT for wider support and go for the 5770 ($170)

I prefer a newer gen. card but the HD 4xxx series of cards are cheaper and should be supported in even the most recent distros (regardless of distro and xorg/kernel ver.?)? Also, I can utilize the card with either the fglrx or FOSS driver?

I'm trying to switch to ATI so help me out there?

Maybe these annoying questions will help someone else more or less contemplating the same thing?

I checked the wiki for the ATI GPU comparison chart so I think these choices are sufficient although a little pricey depending on your p.o.v. I'll do 3D, 2D (movies etc.), *maybe* some gaming but I want the card capable regardless...

CPU is Q6600 and Corsair PSU (520w) so I think the rest of the hardware is sufficient for any of the video cards...

Comment

Working...
                    X