XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe will it work on ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    We?? Seriously, you all guys should seek psychologist attention.
    We are not the ones suffering from grandiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      Thats because you are running windows drivers on linux with nvidia. Thats why they cannot open the source, cannot support Xorg properly and handle linux as second-class; but release fast and on the same graphical tests you can reliably mess linux always fall 20% behind winblows (unless its cpu intensive,ie kernel, then linux will win). Well, it is currently fastest 3D solution, but it lacks (and will always lack) any point where linux can actually use its main feature to go in lead.

If you look at software performance(ie recoding, databases, processing etc) linux LEADS on opensource apps.

In 3D it is slowed down by:
      a) a company that handles it as second-class system, never opens source and hence hardware+linux software solutions always fall behind winblows with performance to have no choice to go up or on-par(no one can improve it beside them, and they simply dont care).

b) a company that does opensource, but .. ugh,.. slooow. It still carries its closed source driver, that is many times worse than (a), unless workstation tasks. A company that cannot deside? Well at least it does(together with some community effort) opensource and its 3D is usable.

c) a company that does only opensource in linux. But its opensource drivers performance is messed to be 5-6 times slower than on closed source winblows. Wtf, no? And it has no hardware capable of something average 3D currently.

Great 3D situation, no? The choice is yours. I went (b) and abadoned (a).
      Then is the ATI binary driver in Linux handled similarly or??

The problem is I just want to use my computer and I may want to
      a) watch videos, decode video, edit video..etc.
      b) use 3D, Google Eath, Gimp/Blender etc. - I just want the OPTION...

I'm against Nvidia when it comes to the rebranding of cards but mostly because of the closed source and expensive cards but see no choice when ATI/AMD is so slow at working out bugs or maintaining support... (mostly support on newer distros?)

Open source graphics drivers are a nice ideal but even those are devoid of some crucial features and again, maintenance of support (i.e. improvements and adding features) is slow and in some cases, don't offer use or sufficient use of the card one just bought

The only reason to go with Nvidia for me is that most of the video/3D will work and allow convenient use of either Windows or Linux with virtually all features that I need/want. I can use whatever distro at whatever status/version # it is at without too much concern about eventually getting video and features... yes, the system for installing is a royal PITA and the closed source situation really sucks but that is the main drawback

Of course, the hardware remains inferior in many ways and only older generation cards are an option but I wouldn't spend much on such a card anyway (only $100 in this case of considering Nvidia)

I even thought I could watch my videos/movies in Windoze and surf (everything else) in Linux if I get an ATI card but it is a real nuisance and when the card forces you to go the 'other' OS (not your first choice), that is just bad... C'mon, ATI, increase your resources somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        why not just try it ? a Radeon HD 5450 cost only 50? in germany!

in my point of view you should not buy a hd4000 card because of broken openCL GPU-cache (means bad Performance ).

Be sure WINE will jump to OpenGL4 (wine use openGL3.3 right now!)
        Wine performance in my tests AMD is Leading wine performance right now if i start starcraft2 the game runs like nativ.. if i start starcraft2 on an nvidia dx10 Geforce 8600 the game lags slow like hell!

Desktop Performance the Cataylst 10-6 is stable and ready to release right now! direct2D will be the normal mode in 10-6 and its really really really fast! and this EXA like acceleration kills tons of bugs!

Viedeo acceleration works right now!

i also use Gimp and Blender ;-) works well!

and yes the opensource driver is not ready yet!

But don't care the SPEC is there right now and 2 amd devs work on the open driver out in the wild and 2 devs work on OpenGL3 and other stuff in the 'hidden' they will release there stuff after the lawers checkt the IP

the most of the driver is writen by redhat and free dev's based on the released SPECs!!

Really just try it out!
        Two reasons:
        1) support is awfully slow and features are lacking
        2) your card is a HTPC type and it's silly, IMHO, to get such a card in Linux - ATI/AMD shows no interest in getting video decoding working... in FOSS driver development... been nonexistent for ages... not sure if the fglrx driver is working well with that feature

I forget if it's a hassle or not but sounds like a lot of switching back and forth between the drivers

2D EXA is almost working with Catalyst? Not the FOSS driver yet, I assume...

If the state of things with Evergreen cards was the same in Fedora 13 as Ubuntu Lucid 10.04, I'd probably go with a 5770. It's too bad the support is so slow. Fedora is sponsored by Red Hat and Red Hat is one of the official distros supported. But, if ATI/AMD could be relatively timely with support in Fedora 13, the rest of the distros would probably have working drivers, too. I believe it's the quick changing versions of XServer and the kernel in Fedora that is causing the problem?

Anyway, I also use Debian/Ubuntu (will be 10.04) so at least I'll have a chance at having a working card in at least one distro.

Comment

I may get a hd 5 card to check xvba/opengl 4 soon - most likely a slow passively cooled one. But i don't expect this to work - if you want to buy a htpc card then something from nvidia that's clear. g210 would be a smarter choice.

Comment

Well the fglrx 10.6 driver is awesome. Fast 2d etc. Trust me.
            I have heard people having success with the fglrx > 10.5 driver with xvba.

Comment

With HD 4, but where did you read about HD 5?

Comment

I just wish Blizzard would release a native wow client

Anyways if you are going to run wow with wine make sure it uses opengl and not d3d. You will get more performance that way.

The last time i ran WoW in ubuntu was in 9.04, after that my card was not supported......

<<<<<<Cannot afford recent hardware
                Last edited by Babuloseo; 28 June 2010, 05:30 PM. Reason: shiny button

Comment

Working...
                X