Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Offers First Beta Of RHEL 6.0

Phoronix: Red Hat Offers First Beta Of RHEL 6.0

While the Fedora community is busy coming up with the Fedora 14 codename, its corporate parent, Red Hat, is celebrating the release of the first beta for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0. As of this morning, the first public beta is now available for this major update to their flagship Linux enterprise operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shit, 3 years of Linux development...

Microsoft, pay some attention...

Comment

What surprises me is kde 4.3 as an enterprise class desktop. They probably didn't want to stay with unsupported qt3, but still kde 4.3?

Comment

Originally posted by mar04 View Post
        What surprises me is kde 4.3 as an enterprise class desktop. They probably didn't want to stay with unsupported qt3, but still kde 4.3?
        Most likely because RHEL6 is (I would guess) based on Fedora 12 and that one ships with SC 4.3 and not SC 4.4:

A Fedora release is really bleeding edge when it comes out, so not using Fedora 13 as RHEL base is understandable.
        It's also understandable that RH does not want to backport huge software packages like the SC.

Comment

After i see the package present on the last beta:
          Red Hat Enterprise Linux
          i think wow!
          postgresql from 8.1.11 to 8.4.2
          is a big jump (finally)
          In the past i have a project based on a functionlity present on postgresql 8.2 so i'm happy now. (Yes even in the past you could use a more update release but it isn't the same thing).

gimp from 2.2.13 to 2.6.8
          So now i can use equivalent RedHat based distro even for more general use.

Comment

Originally posted by mar04 View Post
            People who use Red Hat actually use a gui?

I have a CentOS 5.4 box at work that I SSH into all the time. It's completely headless too. No monitor, keyboard, or mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              People who use Red Hat actually use a gui?
              Some do.... the typical dummy who knows only windoze... they can't read you know.

Regarding this whole QT thing... WHO CARES???
              RH is GNOME-CENTRIC. ALL of the management tools are in GTK!!
              QT doesn't have any relevance except to run the odd program for which the developer didn't think things through all the way, and this really doesn't have much impact on enterprise usage.

Comment

Working...
              X