No announcement yet.

ALSA 1.0.23 Is Here With Better Linux Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Jack sound server for low latency. I think you're complaining more about PulseAudio, which has got nothing to do with Alsa as a driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      Use Jack sound server for low latency. I think you're complaining more about PulseAudio, which has got nothing to do with Alsa as a driver.
      No I don't. I'm complaining about ALSA. And could you explain to me how Jack will help with latency since it needs ALSA to play sounds?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        No I don't. I'm complaining about ALSA. And could you explain to me how Jack will help with latency since it needs ALSA to play sounds?

Comment

and yet, despite having a bug report open for close to 3 years, with numerous contributions, i still have no proper support for my laptop.

thing has been tagged 'assigned' since late 2007 ......

go figure.

Comment

You don't get it. JACK does not offer sound card drivers. It uses ALSA. And ALSA is high latency. ALSA is the bottleneck JACK can't get around. Unless JACK magically makes ALSA perform better.

Can't be that hard to understand.

Comment

ALSA is high latency? Got any links?

Comment

@RealNC
                I think the minor collection of sound cards supported in oss4, is the reason why it is not widely supported in different distributions.

Comment

EDIT:
                  Oh and they also have some pretty strict licenses.

Comment

You don't get it. JACK does not offer sound card drivers. It uses ALSA. And ALSA is high latency. ALSA is the bottleneck JACK can't get around. Unless JACK magically makes ALSA perform better.

Yes, Jack does make ALSA perform better - and there's nothing magic about that. Normal ALSA applications use dmix or PulseAudio for mixing, which are OK but have less than ideal latency for some uses. Jack does direct hardware access with no underlying mixer layer. It also uses much more aggressive buffer settings than ALSA applications normally do (mainly because normally it's more important to protect against dropouts than shave a few milliseconds off latency).

Comment

Alsa is high latency? Believe me, it's you that don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                      X