Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notice More Articles This Week At Phoronix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@karl
    It's not better than donation because it makes me to expect something and it turns out useless.
    I'd better just donate as I donate to Wikipedia and the feeling of self-satisfaction would not be spoiled by failed expectations.
    And better yet is make it work right (if someone really likes it how it is now - make it configurable) - grant someone who supports Phoronix with slight more pleasing experience of surfing the site.

Comment

one way to _do more_ would be for example if there would be another version of RSS feeds that would publish special links to the articles, that when opened would try to log you in first (if you are not already logged in).

for example one link from rss looks like this:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a new parameter on the link could be added that would tell vr.php to try to log the user first (if is not already logged in).

and like you or somebody else mentioned maybe to have an option to the control panel if you prefer single page or multi page articles.

but in the end I think the important thing here is that if you like the website and you want to support it you can either disable adblockplus and noscript for this site or pay the subscription.

Comment

Could the rss feeds point to the article's forum thread rather than the article itself ? The first post in the thread always includes a link to the article itself anyways, and going to the forum thread first would give you automatic login even with the current implementation.

The real fun happens in the forum thread anyways
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Could the rss feeds point to the article's forum thread rather than the article itself ? The first post in the thread always includes a link to the article itself anyways, and going to the forum thread first would give you automatic login even with the current implementation.

The real fun happens in the forum thread anyways
          Actually, great idea John. That could be another approach:

There you go.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That looks real good - the title goes to the forum post with automatic login *and* there is a direct link to the article as well.
            Test signature

Comment

Or...

Premium users get to have OGG html5 video streaming instead of youtube and options for higher/lower res pcitures?

Or would that kill the profit?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Actually, great idea John. That could be another approach:

There you go.
                The problem with this is that the links have an &goto=lastpost
                In case of a multi page thread, you then need to go to the first page to get the article link and then click on the link to get the article.

Also, for me personally, this approach is worse because while on slashdot is the rule for ppl. to not read the article for phoronix is the opposite. I always first read the article and then, maybe, I go to the forum for the comments.

Comment

I thought the same as you at first, but then I noticed the link was actually *newpost* and so since I had already read all the article-related threads I was going to the last post. I believe the same link should go to the *first* post of an article we haven't read yet, but I'll need to wait for a new article whose thread I haven't read yet before I can see if that works
                  Test signature

Comment

@Michael
                    Is there really no simple way to do it somehow more hassle-free? I'd be very happy to see all articles non-paginated by just clicking on titles or going there from RSS.

By the way, despite all interface nuisances contents is great! Thank you for your hard work!

Comment

@bridgman: you are right, it's "newpost" but like I said, it goes to the last post (so for multi-page threads is not good).

Comment

Working...
                      X