Open-source CAD programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    They target the most popular distros. Fair enough i think.

But its 2011 and all the FOOS people MUST seat down and decide on a common way of installing packages in ALL linux distros.
    I think that it is a bit backwards to have every software out there maintain different packaging for each distro. It would probably be more worthwhile for linux distros decide on one package format and have every distro out there have that capability to use that one package format (they can still have their own native package management if desired and in addition to). Of course other items like FHS would have to start being enforced. This should be part of the LSB and any distro not adhering to those standards and capabilities simply would have to adopt that standard or get left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I think that it is a bit backwards to have every software out there maintain different packaging for each distro. It would probably be more worthwhile for linux distros decide on one package format and have every distro out there have that capability to use that one package format (they can still have their own native package management if desired and in addition to). Of course other items like FHS would have to start being enforced. This should be part of the LSB and any distro not adhering to those standards and capabilities simply would have to adopt that standard or get left behind.
      Sorry.
      It came out a bit wrong the way i wrote it in the previous message. Replace the word packages with software and it is OK i think

As it seems noone wants to solve this problem. Heck they cant even decide on common desktop standards. (ie look at whats happening with Canonical VS Gnome VS whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        As it seems noone wants to solve this problem. Heck they cant even decide on common desktop standards. (ie look at whats happening with Canonical VS Gnome VS whatever)
        Ya it is sad that they can't all agree on some standards but that is the double edge sword of opensource development. Everybody thinks that they have a better solution and it ends up fragmenting.

Comment

Open-source CAD programs

A command-line that's always nearby where I can sort commands to rapidity up the work process and the position of drawing aids that Autocad has. That's it. The one thing that Autocad has that no other alternayive has is these two belongings that just create it easy and very competent to use.

Comment

Originally posted by moonpreston View Post
            A command-line that's always nearby where I can sort commands to rapidity up the work process and the position of drawing aids that Autocad has. That's it. The one thing that Autocad has that no other alternayive has is these two belongings that just create it easy and very competent to use.
            Bricscad has all that but it isn't free. I'm downloading Draftsight right now which also has all of that and is free. Let's see if it's any good.
            Also, about the package management issue, the best way to unify all the package formats would be for all software installers to be able to handle every format.

Comment

Working...
            X