Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks Video Editor Going Open-Source

Phoronix: Lightworks Video Editor Going Open-Source

While there have been video editors on Linux like Cinelerra and Kino for some length of time, and more recently there have been new open-source projects that aim to better non-linear video editing on Linux like OpenShot and PiTiVi, up to this point it's been an area just like gaming: the Linux solutions haven't been great compared to other platforms. However, there's a lot more potential for that to change now that a professional video editor for Linux is being open-sourced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What an amazing day for Open Source video.

Michael, you should also report on that: http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/goog...r-html5-video/

Google is probably going to announce open sourcing VP8 and pushing it next month at their conference. This is big.

Comment

The press release is very lacking in details. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was just a small part of it being opened up, to draw in developers.

Comment

I hope that they will open 100%of the src code, but i think it's a big win for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          What an amazing day for Open Source video.

Michael, you should also report on that: http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/goog...r-html5-video/

Google is probably going to announce open sourcing VP8 and pushing it next month at their conference. This is big.
          I'd say it be a while before a program such as VP8 or the Lightworks editor be open sourced due to the time to get the code to pass legal muster (patents and 3rd party code)
          and to clean it up. Of course any code that cannot be released would then need to be rewritten from scratch.

But just the same it's a win if this does happen

Comment

I'd say it be a while before a program such as VP8 or the Lightworks editor be open sourced due to the time to get the code to pass legal muster (patents and 3rd party code)
            and to clean it up. Of course any code that cannot be released would then need to be rewritten from scratch.

Well, google surely has money/manpower to do so. In addition they own everything necessary for 2 months already so I think they could have gone through most of it already. I may be too optimistic of course, we will see.

Comment

Don't forget avidemux2, which is VERY VERY much used on both Linux and Windows.

It even have its own forum at doom9.net

Comment

This is great news! Now all I need to ditch any form of windows-only software for good is a good linux CAD program. That probably won't happen anytime soon though.

Comment

Sure it have. VariCAD.com

You can even download a free 30 days trail. They provide RPM's and debs, and tar.gz for Linux.

Comment

Varicad is less of a general purpose cad system. It focuses on mechanical design.

What is really needed is something more general purpose like Autocad. Unfortunately not even under wine due to the program going to .net nastiness. What is even worse is that under a virtual machine Autocad is absolutely horrendous (even with acceleration enabled).

Comment

Working...
                    X