Intel & The Shortcomings Of Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Ugh, first off open source IS more secure because you can't hide secrets as easily as you can with closed, and the difference between open and closed is your ability to have control over it as well as its sustainability due to easy reusability and other things.
    My thoughts were related towards system implementations and TCO, not open/closed per se. I'd say that improper system implementation, not applying security patches and updates, inadequate or missing security policies - all those are most often the culprit of a vulnerable system, rather than security flaws in the software. The costs of carefully designing and implementing security system in a corporation far outweights the cost of the software itself, whether it's opensource or not. It's the human factor. Even intelligence agencies around the globe resort to obtaining passwords through keyloggers rather than breaking the unbreakable (AES et. alt.)

Originally posted by Yfrwlf
    The reason some governments still use Microsoft software is because they're a) bought out, and have sold out their taxpayers, and b) it was the defacto desktop experience for a while and largely still is unfortunately, but has NO reason for continuing.
    Ofcourse they have. There's an entire robust ecosystem of apps built around Windows. For a problem XY you'll find 15 solutions for Windows platform and 2 solutions for Unix/Linux. One of those might not work with the kernel>=2.6.28 or KDE>=3. It's the difference between iPhone OS and Android/Meego/Moblin - iPhone OS delivers, and delivers fast. And when you're on a deadline schedule, you'll want that. It's often much, much cheaper to buy a licence than code it yourself - developers are more expensive than hardware, therefore, Java programming

Mind you, I'm NOT bash#-ing the whole opensource idea here. But as soon we got rid of all illusions and accept our current position in the foodchain the sooner we'll move ahead. KDE people got it. Ubuntu got it. Apache got it. The rest will follow... or die... alone... in the snow

Comment

Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
      Yo man, I respect you, and I'mma let you finish, but r300-gallium is totally a working driver, and it spins glxgears faster than the old r300 driver. Just wanted to give that little shout-out.
      Yo man, that's classic bro! I mean... ABOVE classic, ha ha... Know what I'm sayin'?

AMD devs are bringing it home

Totally...

--

Hhahaa WTF

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
        Mind you, I'm NOT bash#-ing the whole opensource idea here. But as soon we got rid of all illusions and accept our current position in the food chain the sooner we'll move ahead. KDE people got it. Ubuntu got it. Apache got it. The rest will follow... or die... alone... in the snow
        And then the ice weasels come...

Seriously. Nice to see adults in the mix.

Comment

I get your point, but it's somewhat flawed. Indeed, the world does not revolve around Linux (at least not for the time being).
          The world resolves arout money. Money resolves around the economy. The economy resolves around the stock market. Stock markets run Linux (mostly or are migrating.

The world also resolved around communication. Communication resolves around the internet and phones. Currently most ISP's and websites are Linux based. The same goes largely for phones.

When at home, people watch an awful lot of TV. TV set top boxes mostly run Linux.

Health resolves around hospitals. Hospitals almost all use Linux for their servers...

Dude if all Linux based apparatus would crash right now; the world would collapse.

I think it is pretty safe to asume that the world is in fact spinning around Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
            Cloud's not going to happen. You can want it to. You can try to force it but you're going to get revolt after revolt after revolt.
            iPad. People'll give up their rights if the pied piper's tune is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              I think it is pretty safe to asume that the world is in fact spinning around Linux
              Just not the desktop

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Stock markets run Linux... Currently most ISP's and websites are Linux based. The same goes largely for phones... TV set top boxes mostly run Linux... Hospitals almost all use Linux for their servers...

True, true... I think my comment was related to a notion that web technologies would somehow "wait" for linux hardware video accelleration to catch up. No go. If 90%+ of your market (consumers) runs a platform that supports VA, you're good to go. If you can push it today rather than tommorow, the better... In that sense, the world does not revolve around linux.

Linux has many strong points, and I am just as excited as you over all those market breakthroughs. It's a sign of a mature, yet extremely flexible platform. In fact, it's even that good, that we don't have to resort to "M$ is evil" tactics anymore just to feel good.

However, mind you, all of the platforms you mentioned do come bundled with a bit of a financial "pain" inflicted to your wallet, i.e. they're not free as a beer. And this is a good thing - you can make money with linux. And it brings enhanced or new stuff back in - WebKit, QT, OpenGL...

Comment

System implementations and TCO in the open source world are taken into consideration depending on the type of ownership, whether the ownerbe able to handle higher TCO or not.

Comment

Recently I tried out an open source search platform, Solr (http://www.lucidimagination.com/Down...eference-Guide ) , which exhibits advanced searching & indexing techniques.I don't think in this case , TCO factor should make much of a difference.

Comment

Linux has many strong points, and I am just as excited as you over all those market breakthroughs. It's a sign of a mature, yet extremely flexible platform. In fact, it's even that good, that we don't have to resort to "M$ is evil" tactics anymore just to feel good.
                      Not going to even bother replying to the rest, too uninterested, but I will say that M$ is evil. Many large monopolistic corporations are, not just them. They have no morals, and they pretty much steal billions of dollars of everyones taxes around the world. That's not why I use Linux, but it's very easy and logical to see why someone might do so simply to get away from Microsoft and Windows, and that's perfectly legitimate for those who switch for that reason, so make sure you don't bash them for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X