Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Puts Out Its OpenGL 4.0 Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Puts Out Its OpenGL 4.0 Linux Driver

With NVIDIA having announced the GeForce GTX 470 and 480 graphics cards (formerly known as "Fermi") at the end of March and these graphics cards starting to appear at Internet retailers (see links below), NVIDIA has now put out its OpenGL 4.0 Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I updated my nvidia script to support that driver about one h ago, but did not see a GTX 470/480 running with it yet. You need -vs option to select this driver. The script is not tested with lucid, but should work with karmic and Kanotix - it may require extra -m option to disable dkms for Debian squeeze when the kernel is not the way installed my dkms code expects it. -m is basically more or less the same as running the installer manually, just with automated download.

Comment

cute - that driver is not 'the latest' according to version numbers. This will create a lot of fun ...

Comment

Did you also read that Nv will jump to version 256 this month? At least for Win and should feature stereo 3d support on multiply displays.

Comment

Looks more like they're slapping new names on old drivers. The true nvidia way.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            cute - that driver is not 'the latest' according to version numbers. This will create a lot of fun ...
            Guess you never noticed development forks before.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Guess you never noticed development forks before.
              i did. And that is why I think the numbering nvidia used is stupid. It will also make the life of people with package manglers looking at version numbers a lot harder. Not a smart move at all.

Comment

I do not worry about version numbers, but the driver itself has to work, that's much more important. This driver has got a special download location too - not only a special version number. But i have got no real problem with that

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  i did. And that is why I think the numbering nvidia used is stupid. It will also make the life of people with package manglers looking at version numbers a lot harder. Not a smart move at all.
                  It's common practice in development to fork off briefly to implement new features and then merge them back off a known good base. It's done in literally everywhere. One just has too look at a project such as XBMC to see it being done all the time. It's just good development practice.

Comment

Working...
                  X