Flash video jumpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by esheesle View Post
    So why the heck doesn't flash have this problem with the open source driver?
    fglrx and the OSS are completly different codebase, aka even if both up to some point export X GL function with the same name or call the same Xserver function, they do it in a 100% different way.

so this happens just cuz the OSS is better and more stable codebase than fglrx (since ever fglrx have an impresive number of issues with 2d, xv, video, flash, resizing, composite, and well many many other things)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      fglrx and the OSS are completly different codebase, aka even if both up to some point export X GL function with the same name or call the same Xserver function, they do it in a 100% different way.

so this happens just cuz the OSS is better and more stable codebase than fglrx (since ever fglrx have an impresive number of issues with 2d, xv, video, flash, resizing, composite, and well many many other things)
      ahhhh. wow, you'd figure that would be some basic stuff. Just annoying because my new system is going to have a 5470 card which isn't well supported by the open source driver either. Guess I'm stuck with crappy video playback.

Was hoping that like in the OSS driver I could just enable some overlays to smooth it out.

Comment

oh, and it even seems to affect scrolling. pretty depressing driver state.

Comment

Originally posted by esheesle View Post
          oh, and it even seems to affect scrolling. pretty depressing driver state.
          try it with composite, is even funnier. sometimes you can see pixel by pixel how stuff get drawn in the screen. is so teachful

Comment

So no real tweaks to get flash video and fglrx to not freeze up my browser then with my new ati 5470 card?

I could almost deal with some tearing, but the browser becomes very unresponsive as the video is playing. Really annoying.

Would use the open source driver but doesn't seem to have power management for this card quite yet. Hopefully soon.

Comment

But to clarify, it seems that downloaded videos are fine, just flash.

Comment

Wow, decided to install compiz and when I enable the video plugin for it, flash video flows completely smooth. Didn't expect a big difference but wow.

Comment

Working...
                X