Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FirePro V8800 2GB

Phoronix: AMD FirePro V8800 2GB

Last week AMD launched the FirePro V8800, which is their first workstation graphics card derived from an ATI Evergreen graphics processor and designed to be a step-up from the previously reviewed FirePro V8700 and FirePro V8750. The AMD FirePro V8800 features 2GB of GDDR5 video memory with 147.2 GB/s of bandwidth, 1600 Stream processors, four DisplayPort outputs, ATI Eyefinity support, DirectX 11.0 / OpenGL 4.0 support, OpenCL 1.0 capable, a full 30-bit display pipeline, Multi-View display support, and much. We have now carried out our Linux testing of this new ultra high-end workstation graphics card and have the results to share this morning.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    and the winner is hd5770 for the best performance to price ratio !
    Actually, if you're looking for the best price/performance ratio, you'll probably win out with a sub-$50 card.

4xHDMI is the key feature here....

Comment

The open source KMS driver should support eyefinity in 2.6.34.

Comment

@ Michael Larabel

Why is there no competitive analysis in the article?

I don't think the V8800 can be declared the "performance champion", or that we can accurately know the price to performance benefit of the V8800 without comparing it to a NVIDIA card in the same price segment.

Comment

ok ill try to aswer this to you.

there no benchmarks!

nvidia fermi and amd's R800 are OpenGL4+ directX11 grafic cards!

unigine haven for exampel are only openGL3.2! 3.2 ! 3.2! you can't check a ogl4.0 grafic card by only checking openGL 3.2!!!!

the 3D-cat stuff the same storry most of the professional benchmarks only use openGL2.1 or mybe OGL3...

there is no real benchmark for an REAL battle fermi VS r800!

why sould michael waste his time on checking openGL3.2 on OpenGL4 cards?

he only wait for real programms and real benchmarks with real DX11 apps on wine and real OpenGL4 apps on linux!

then be sure michael will benchmark all this suff in a round!

Err no, it's a matter of having no access to the NVIDIA hardware. Though other tests (albeit under Windows) have shown the V8800 having the upperhand over NVIDIA.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@ Michael Larabel

That is a fair answer. Thank you for the reply.

Comment

"but it is unlikely you would ever use the open-source driver on a $1,500 USD workstation graphics card within a production environment."

I would. Won't me, by buying this card support opensource drivers?

Opensource != Money

Opensource provides better scalability and better bug-freeness.

And nobody prevents ATI put GPL on opensource drivers, so no one can steal and cover the technology.

Comment

the problem of amd is if you buy a fireGL they count you as a cloused source user!
                >;(
                We need an answer from Bridgman..

i buy a VGA card only they count me as a windows user only because there is no linux-only edition..
                if you buy a card for linux and you need to tun windows to because wine runs bad on your card amd count you as a windows user...

the only way to get a right count for linux is to buy a Dell PC with ubuntu 10.04!

yes its not so funny.... but Buy DELL-Linux hardware is the only way to makes Clear Linux is the way to go!

amd's gpu linux count: 1,X% Linux :-(
                Why wine in first place?

You buy windows games and simulate closed-source only manufacturer nvidia if you buy for wine! Wine is not native graphics and not native gaming!

I actually have bought 4770 and sold 9800gt just because ati started to invest in opensource linux 3D stack!

I have already spent 350$ on amd hardware ONLY because they start to support opensource!

CPU AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHz AM3 2MB 95W BOX
                MB GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H 785G AM3 mATX
                VGA 512MB PowerColor Radeon HD4770 GDDR5 PCIe
                (not counting RAM in)

I think the right count for linux is amount of software downloads from official gits(for source based) plus amount of package downloads for binary-based(debian, ubuntu etc). The best thing about linux - it is not bound to hardware in any ways.

So I say - Go AMD!

Comment

We don't treat FirePRO board sales any differently from consumer cards in terms of contribution to our understanding of Linux market share.

When we sell hardware we can't really tell whether it's going to be used with Linux or Windows, so we have to use other mechanisms to estimate market share.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    We don't treat FirePRO board sales any differently from consumer cards in terms of contribution to our understanding of Linux market share.

When we sell hardware we can't really tell whether it's going to be used with Linux or Windows, so we have to use other mechanisms to estimate market share.
                    Hmm, maybe You could put "please register your card" on site and in the box and put multichoice "Whats your OS?" there? Ty for the answer!

Comment

Working...
                    X