Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 Gets A New Catalyst Pre-Release

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 Gets A New Catalyst Pre-Release

A month ago the Canonical crew working on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS received an unreleased Catalyst 10.4 driver from AMD for inclusion with the Lucid Lynx since the publicly available ATI Catalyst drivers had not -- and to this day still do not -- support the X.Org Server 1.7 used by this next Ubuntu release. Similar pre-releases for Ubuntu have happened in the past when AMD hasn't been quick to the game in supporting new Linux kernels and X Servers. This driver was made available in Ubuntu 10.04 even before Catalyst 10.3 was released. Catalyst 10.4 still has not been publicly released, but another updated 10.4 driver has made its way into the Lucid repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice !

now let's see if this works on more cards without problems & on more additional linux-distributions without segfaulting

Thanks AMD / devs !

Comment

Is it normal that only U gets the driver and nobody else the installer? My script would support U 10.4 of course too, but only when the installer would be available. Then it would directly work with squeeze or sid too. Of course the (older) driver was packaged later too for em but this is stupid. Just provide the run installer (if you like in a zip, does not matter for me) like the other previews if the driver is not yet released normally. What's the purpose to hide the installer and only release the things that get in the distro package?

Comment

any vaio user tried it yet // hope hope hope hope -- only until the oss works fine ....

Comment

What keeps people from using this driver on other Linux distributions?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Is it normal that only U gets the driver and nobody else the installer? My script would support U 10.4 of course too, but only when the installer would be available. Then it would directly work with squeeze or sid too. Of course the (older) driver was packaged later too for em but this is stupid. Just provide the run installer (if you like in a zip, does not matter for me) like the other previews if the driver is not yet released normally. What's the purpose to hide the installer and only release the things that get in the distro package?
            Just that it was released only to the people who make a specific distro package. I think the plan is for this driver (or something very close to it) to become the next Catalyst driver release, so that should go out with all of the other bits as well.
            Test signature

Comment

8.723.1-100408a-098580C-ATI

The driver runs fine for me with Ubuntu Lucid :-)

Except the known issues, like the horrible 2D performance while Direct2D isn't stable yet.

Comment

I can report SUCCESS on Vaio E-Series HD 5650 mobility. Segfaults no longer.

Thank you ATI/AMD!

Comment

Oh good
                  Test signature

Comment

Any updates with 3D regression since 10.3 ?

Comment

Working...
                    X