Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    8.723.1-100408a-098580C-ATI

The driver runs fine for me with Ubuntu Lucid :-)

Except the known issues, like the horrible 2D performance while Direct2D isn't stable yet.
    Direct2D? Either Michael didn't report on a (for MS) groundbreaking move or Direct2D is still a MS-only technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
      Any updates with 3D regression since 10.3 ?
      It seems there are several fixes for 3D/OpenGL included. Try if your problems still exist.

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      Direct2D? Either Michael didn't report on a (for MS) groundbreaking move or Direct2D is still a MS-only technology.
      Michael *did* report on that. Direct2D is coming soon with the Catalyst driver as the new 2D acceleration architecture.

Comment

It's not Direct2D, btw, it's a different API that shares some core acceleration code. Think of it as "AAA" or something like that.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          It seems there are several fixes for 3D/OpenGL included. Try if your problems still exist.

Michael *did* report on that. Direct2D is coming soon with the Catalyst driver as the new 2D acceleration architecture.
          I went looking for it and indeed found it. My browser even indicates I've seen that particular article. I guess my only remaining questions are: How is that even possible? Won't MS object to that? And *what* exactly will Direct2D4Linux accelerate?

Comment

It's not Direct2D, it's a different API that shares some core acceleration code.
            Test signature

Comment

anyone able to play opengl games with this driver?

for example HoN returns me:

xpander@xpander-desktop:~$ '/home/xpander/Games/HoN/hon-x86'
              warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
              K2 - Fatal Error: ARB_vertex_buffer_object not available.

Comment

3D stuff is still segfaulting:

glxinfo, glxgears, compiz, xscreensaver-gl stuff, etc.

exception and only working program (probably due to 32bit and bundled own libs) is googleearth what on earth ?

system: ~amd64, gcc 4.4.3 currently moving from fPIE & fstack-protector-all to vanilla compiler, hopefully that makes a change,
                around 60% is already re-compiled

card: 5850

distribution: Gentoo

for more info: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ighlight-.html

many thanks in advance for any comment, fix, help, etc.

please make 10.4 usable again !

10.1 was the last usable driver for me - all others: 10.2, 10.3 lead to segfaulting apps

Comment

You know that you have to use Xserver 1.7 for this prerelease?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    It's not Direct2D, it's a different API that shares some core acceleration code.
                    Ah. Thanks for sharing that John.

As the Dutch saying goes, "Nu komt de aap uit de mouw"!

So if it's not D2D, what's it going to be called? And my other question remains: what exactly will it accelerate? Will it be a low-level "engine" replacement for the Linux Catalyst EXA code?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You know that you have to use Xserver 1.7 for this prerelease?
                      yeah, of course, each time I have to unmask xorg-server 1.7 for this stunt

with xorg-server 1.6.5 I only get a black screen

so it should be obvious - there are no error message in Xorg.0.log however

Comment

Working...
                      X