Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Catalyst GPU switching

Hello there,
    i am planning to buy some long-battery-life notebook and am thinking about using AMD dual graphic notebook. What is the state of realtime GPU switching in Catalyst driver for linux? Anyone has working with it?

I don't think it's supported in Linux. Make sure you get a laptop that provides a manual or BIOS switch between discrete and integrated GPUs.

All AMD dual-graphic laptops are supposed to have that switch but a few models leave it out.
    Test signature

Comment

Is it at least work in progress for catalyst driver? Or am i a "unsupported customer"?

Comment

I don't think those two are connected. There are no plans to support switchable graphics in the driver on Linux as far as I know. We don't offer that support on all Windows variants either, as far as I know. If you purchase a laptop which follows the spec we provide to our OEM customers then use of either GPU will be supported, using the manual/BIOS switch rather than a driver-controlled switch.
        Test signature

Comment

Hi all. After the release of 12.1 Catalyst drivers, I'm still unable to switch from the integrated ati card to the discrete one. I have 4200/5650 cards on an HP Notebook. I tried to use aticonfig to configure both the adapters, but if i do that, i'll get a black screen on the next reboot. How the hell can i use my 5650 on linux? Does anybody has managed to do that? Thanks

ps: the HP bios doesn't let you deactivate one of the gpu.

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by v4mpiro View Post
            Hi all. After the release of 12.1 Catalyst drivers, I'm still unable to switch from the integrated ati card to the discrete one. I have 4200/5650 cards on an HP Notebook. I tried to use aticonfig to configure both the adapters, but if i do that, i'll get a black screen on the next reboot. How the hell can i use my 5650 on linux? Does anybody has managed to do that? Thanks

ps: the HP bios doesn't let you deactivate one of the gpu.
            This is I think what is happening to me. Its being discussed in the thread "Is there any guide on xorg.conf for ATI?" in this same forum. I have a 4200/6300 and I can only use the 4200 in Linux. I don't mind switching, I?ll be fine if I could just use the high-end GPU, but it has been so far impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by v4mpiro View Post
              I have no own experience with dual gpus. But I read something recently about it:
              Some Good News for AMD 6700M HD / Intel Owners
              Bumblebee thread (hdas posts)

It looks like it works at least with some 6xxx series mobile Radeon cards in combo with Intel IGP.
              Last edited by Fenrin; 29 January 2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X