Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,103

    Default Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

    Phoronix: Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

    While most Linux users are fine with just using the kernel supplied by their distribution vendor, there are some enthusiasts and professional users who end up tweaking their kernel configuration extensively for their needs, particularly if they are within a corporate environment where the very best performance and reliability is demanded for a particular workload...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE0MA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    wohahahaaaawwwww the performance god speaks to us..

    in detail this will bring linux to the haven of performance!

    nice!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    wohahahaaaawwwww the performance god speaks to us..

    in detail this will bring linux to the haven of performance!

    nice!
    Gentoo Linux users have been by modifying .config file settings by hand to get improved kernel performance for a long time. I do not think automating it will do much for Linux performance, although this will probably save time for Linux users that were already doing this sort of thing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Gentoo Linux users have been by modifying .config file settings by hand to get improved kernel performance for a long time. I do not think automating it will do much for Linux performance, although this will probably save time for Linux users that were already doing this sort of thing.
    Gentoo VS save time

    if i use Gentoo my time is 'burn'

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Michael I think your work is very useful for the linux environment.
    The kernel developers can look for performance regressions in the Linux kernel with phoromatic, and now distribution maintainers can see what are the best kernel configuration options for the kernel.

    Hope more people involved in linux development have a look at phoromatic.


    P.S.:I'm also waiting to test my Windows XP performance vs. LInux performance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    440

    Default

    As was said above, as a Gentoo user, I've been configuring mine manually for years but I still occasionally get caught out when I forget to enable an option that's really required. I have found that this is the part that new Gentoo users find the most intimidating. Having said that, I think it's a great way to get a tour of the Linux insides and find out just what it's doing for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Brilliant! Can't wait to try this feature out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Hi Michael

    Would it be possible to create a utility that looks at the output of lspci and lsusb and creates a simple cut down kernel config with only the bare minimum required switched on?

    Your new module could then use this as the basis for the testing, it would also massively decrease the time it takes to recompile each kernel

    Regards

    Mike

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Hi Michael

    Would it be possible to create a utility that looks at the output of lspci and lsusb and creates a simple cut down kernel config with only the bare minimum required switched on?

    Your new module could then use this as the basis for the testing, it would also massively decrease the time it takes to recompile each kernel

    Regards

    Mike
    I'm sure I could come up with something to make it work like that to optimize it even further in terms of what modules are needed based upon the current hardware, but I probably wouldn't end up investing that much time into this module unless it becomes financed by a PTS Commercial client.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Gentoo VS save time

    if i use Gentoo my time is 'burn'
    Nothing stops you from using Gentoo Linux and using this to automate the creation of your kernel .config file.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •