Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI's Gallium3D Driver Is Still Playing Catch-Up

Phoronix: ATI's Gallium3D Driver Is Still Playing Catch-Up

Yesterday we delivered benchmarks showing how the open-source ATI Radeon graphics driver stack in Ubuntu 10.04 is comparing to older releases of the proprietary ATI Catalyst Linux driver. Sadly, the latest open-source ATI driver still is no match even for a two or four-year-old proprietary driver from ATI/AMD, but that is with the classic Mesa DRI driver. To yesterday's results we have now added in our results from ATI's Gallium3D (R300g) driver using a Mesa 7.9-devel Git snapshot from yesterday to see how this runs against the older Catalyst drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. Basically, Galium3D >= Radeon for R500. What's the status of Gallium 3D for R600/700 in terms of 3D accel? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      What's the status of Gallium 3D for R600/700 in terms of 3D accel?
      Uhm... I guess glxgears
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

did any work go into optimizing, or is it only work on features right now?
        what im acutally asking is, if we can expect performance jumps if somebody if one of the developers found time to spend on optimizing the drivers?

Comment

edit:
          what im acutally asking is, if we can expect performance jumps if one of the developers found time to spend on optimizing the drivers?

i hate the edit function.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
            edit:
            what im acutally asking is, if we can expect performance jumps if one of the developers found time to spend on optimizing the drivers?

i hate the edit function.
            The work is being done on all fronts.

Comment

Wow! G3D equals or beats classic mesa in all tests and even surpasses fglrx in some... yet the article is titled "playing Catch-Up".

Comment

It's either old X.org and less stable drivers on less distro's Vs some realy nice drivers without downsides although a little later on features and speed.

What about OpenCL though? Is that just raw power using of the GPU or will OpenCL be slower with the state tracker too?

Comment

I expect OpenCL performance is going to be driven by two things - shader compiler efficiency packing multiple instructions into a VLIW, and memory manager maturity. Both are hard but not impossible, and I *think* the OpenCL use cases should be less varied than OpenGL and easier to deal with. Other than that, raw power of the GPU should drive things.

Remember that there hasn't been a lot of optimization on the Gallium3D code base yet, just a push to get to classic Mesa levels so that 300g can replace 300.
                  Test signature

Comment

BTW the shape of the resolution vs performance curves (generally flat) indicates that performance is basically CPU limited right now, so a round of profiling and optimizing should make a hefty difference. The question is whether the bulk of the CPU time is being used in the HW driver stack or in the upper level Mesa code.

I'm not sure which of those to hope for
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X