Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    Basiclly Xv is useless with fglrx.
    The colors are slightly off and there's no vsync. Not good, but not "useless" either.

I'm using xv on fglrx for all my movies, neither me nor anyone else watching with me ever had a problem with that.

but yeah, I'd switch to the OS drivers if there was basic evergreen acceleration.

Comment

That benchmark used Xv and only looked at CPU usage, not picture quality. This is where radeon is far superior to fglrx. Basiclly Xv is useless with fglrx. Sure with fglrx you can get similar picture quality to radeon if you use GL but that also restricts you in your choice of video player.
      Perhaps I watched a lot of movies with the wrong colours or something, but I used to have installed both drivers and switched very often between them. It's almost sure that I watched a number of the very same videos with both Radeon and Fglrx. I think I would have realised it if it was obvious. Is this something you get with compositing or what?

Comment

Ah, only now I saw the screenshots. I wouldn't bet my life on it not happening to me. I wouldn't say "useless" either.

Comment

Well, I would call this pretty useless.

But if you can't see the tearing or if it doesn't bother you, all the better for you.

Comment

Why dont you try vaapi:gl for fglrx and say goodbye to flickering? It works pretty nice with catalyst 10.4 beta - unless you have evergreen card on board...
            Ofcourse its still useless for flash videos, where oss driver owns, but you can watch all other videos with mplayer-vaapi without problems.

Comment

(by flash videos i mean those watched with flashplayer via website, flv via mplayer-vaapi also works good)

Comment

Well, I would call this pretty useless.

But if you can't see the tearing or if it doesn't bother you, all the better for you.
                But monraaf, of course that it would bother me to the point of calling it useless. I may not have a clinical eye for video quality but I'm not blind either. Obviously, I didn't have that problem during the ~2 years I used Fglrx. And obviously, I'm not denying that it exists under certain conditions and with certain hardware.

By the way, those artifacts pretty much look like some VHS ones. Perhaps they should include a tracking control? : D

Comment

Well it is really the case that some ppl see tearing and other rendering errors like skipped frames and others do not. Maybe it has got something to do with the monitor/tv used for output or if the eyes are "trained" to look for those kinds of errors. I know how it has to look, everything else is certainly an error. Some never watch movies on the pc and others do that very often, so some are more effected by problems than others. But that xv does not work correctly is a very old problem. I am not sure if it affected R500 (never had such a card), but with the first R600 which is the last supported for current fglrx driver you have got this problem. xv worked with the oss driver relatively fast with much better quality - at least enough for lower bitrate video which does not require hw accelleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well it is really the case that some ppl see tearing and other rendering errors like skipped frames and others do not. Maybe it has got something to do with the monitor/tv used for output or if the eyes are "trained" to look for those kinds of errors. I know how it has to look, everything else is certainly an error. Some never watch movies on the pc and others do that very often, so some are more effected by problems than others. But that xv does not work correctly is a very old problem. I am not sure if it affected R500 (never had such a card), but with the first R600 which is the last supported for current fglrx driver you have got this problem. xv worked with the oss driver relatively fast with much better quality - at least enough for lower bitrate video which does not require hw accelleration.
                    Then again, there were some hardware differences in R600 and R500 related to 2D rendering. Maybe the devs missed something (or quite a few things) while implementing Xv on fglrx? It's pretty obvious from the oss drivers that it actually could be made to work.

Comment

Of course they did something wrong, they implemented it that xv is possible but not that it uses vsync.

Comment

Working...
                      X