New laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
    im pretty happy with my dell studio (hd4570) and i bought it last september.
    though I'm using fglrx.
    The laptop dell just replaced had the exact same model ati card and when I used fglrx it had horrible tearing for any flash videos, along with the flash pause/stop/etc being unresponsive because of it. did you fix that, or just avoid flash?

Comment

Originally posted by esheesle View Post
      The laptop dell just replaced had the exact same model ati card and when I used fglrx it had horrible tearing for any flash videos, along with the flash pause/stop/etc being unresponsive because of it. did you fix that, or just avoid flash?
      I don't flash tearing can be fixed without Adobe's help. I'm getting tearing on all video cards here (nvidia, ati and intel). Disabling compiz helps a bit but not much.

I'm using the 64bit flash alphas, don't know if that plays a role.

My solution is to open flash videos in VLC. Much better experience overall.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        I don't flash tearing can be fixed without Adobe's help. I'm getting tearing on all video cards here (nvidia, ati and intel). Disabling compiz helps a bit but not much.

I'm using the 64bit flash alphas, don't know if that plays a role.

My solution is to open flash videos in VLC. Much better experience overall.
        good idea, i'll give that a try. besides flash, fglrx seems to do ok on this system.

Comment

The coolest way to watch flash (the hd videos are h264) videos is using xbmc + navi-x. You just can not watch youtube videos with missing embedded tag. I even patched navi-x to get the highest res possible. Now you can even watch youtube (and lots of others, but thats the best integrated) with video accelleration.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            yeah, welcome to the world, bro. Getting a radeon laptop with newish graphics card means no 3d, no 2d accel, no xvideo, no power management. It means it will run dead slow and drain your battery like there is no tomorrow.

Best way is to use Windows and put Linux under a VM, then prey Linux driver will be in good shape in a year or two. Trust me, that's the only way out.
            Do you mean "getting a radeon laptop with newish graphics card and not installing the fglrx driver..." ? The fglrx driver provides 3d accel, 2d accel, Xv (albeit with tearing, GL output recommended) and power management.

If you only want to use open source drivers, then acceleration is not available for Evergreen hardware today. I *think* the new power management code supports Evergreen as well, although not 100% sure about that.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Do you mean "getting a radeon laptop with newish graphics card and not installing the fglrx driver..." ? The fglrx driver provides 3d accel, 2d accel, Xv (albeit with tearing, GL output recommended) and power management.

If you only want to use open source drivers, then acceleration is not available for Evergreen hardware today. I *think* the new power management code supports Evergreen as well, although not 100% sure about that.
              You say GL output recommended. Do I need to do anything special to enable that or just aticonfig --initial?

Comment

depends on your media player. vlc has an option in it's GUI, for mplayer edit mplayer.conf to say
                vo = gl2
                or start mplayer with
                mplayer -vo gl2 mymovie.mp4

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  depends on your media player. vlc has an option in it's GUI, for mplayer edit mplayer.conf to say
                  vo = gl2
                  or start mplayer with
                  mplayer -vo gl2 mymovie.mp4
                  I meant in the xorg.conf file actually. Didn't realize the players themselves wouldn't auto-detect that. thanks!

Comment

I don't think there's anything you can put in xorg.conf to affect which output a player uses - every player is a bit different.

The players will often detect the available output options and make a good guess as to which will be best, but they are as likely to default to Xv output as GL.
                    Test signature

Comment

So I noticed there are a few options that can be put in the xorg.conf. The VideoOverlay(default) and OpenGLOverlay but this disables the first. Are the defaults generated by aticonfig --initial the best or should I tweak anything for optimum performance?

Comment

Working...
                      X