Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source ATI Evergreen Acceleration Builds Up

Phoronix: Open-Source ATI Evergreen Acceleration Builds Up

While up to this point AMD has only cleared Evergreen shader documents for release to the general public, the developers at AMD responsible for working on the open-source support have been working on some code too for this Radeon HD 5000 series support. The Linux 2.6.34 kernel has kernel mode-setting (KMS) support for the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series graphics cards, but it goes without any 2D/3D/X-Video acceleration support. There's also DDX Evergreen support allowing these "R800" class GPUs to work with user-space mode-setting. That's really been the extent of the open-source support though for these graphics cards that are a few months old...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice.

Comment

Yayz! A long ways off from things being fully supported when they come out, but I'm happy things are working in that direction. Hopefully Gallium will help greatly speed it all up too.

Comment

so we can soon get Wayland >GEM>evergreen. Could someone please explain some of this? i looked at the one explanation from 09 that shows what's in 6.28 but how about now? how does it look now?

Comment

LOL, just today I removed my Evergreen card and put it back in the cardboard box. I hope the acceleration code follows soon so I can put the card back in my system.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            LOL, just today I removed my Evergreen card and put it back in the cardboard box. I hope the acceleration code follows soon so I can put the card back in my system.
            If you're going to keep it removed, might as well return it to the store until the support you're needing finally lands, otherwise you're just going to lose money. :P

Comment

great news !

kudos to our loved developer heroes !

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                If you're going to keep it removed, might as well return it to the store until the support you're needing finally lands, otherwise you're just going to lose money. :P
                Nah, I bought the card online. Sending it back is too much hassle for me, besides it will probably get lost by the parcel delivery service anyway I'm not going to take that risk.

Comment

I imagine that GEM/TTM will be part of the initial acceleration support, so the GEM>evergreen part is what's being worked on now. Not sure it's possible to run without it anymore, at least not in KMS.

Wayland should be orthogonal - AFAIK it runs over the standard driver stack.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    It's a tossup which will be harder for the developers - making the card run reliably over AGP or making the card light up in the cardboard box.

How close is the cardboard box to the computer ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X