No announcement yet.

Touring Chernobyl In 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing those pictures of the Chernobyl Nuclear Accident site makes me think of how vast the effects of the disaster to people have been. This site should be a reminder to anyone who wishes to build another nuclear plant or any source of alternative energy to be careful in the planning, construction, operation and all other details. If those involved have been more careful, the disaster could have been prevented and many lives could have been saved. I wish accidents like this would happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall-Street-Guru View Post
      I wish accidents like this would happen again.
      You what?!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        You what?!
        He has a point though. People in general only realize problems if they are hit by it. Before that they don't bother.

Comment

I'm pretty sure one accident is enough. Saying that is the same as saying that you wished for a second holocaust, just because there are people who weren't hit by the first one...

Comment

Originally posted by Wall-Street-Guru View Post
            Seeing those pictures of the Chernobyl Nuclear Accident site makes me think of how vast the effects of the disaster to people have been. This site should be a reminder to anyone who wishes to build another nuclear plant or any source of alternative energy to be careful in the planning, construction, operation and all other details. If those involved have been more careful, the disaster could have been prevented and many lives could have been saved. I wish accidents like this would happen again.
            I'm sure you ment "I wish accidents like this would (NEVER) happen again"

Comment

Originally posted by greggel View Post
              I'm sure you ment "I wish accidents like this would (NEVER) happen again"
              Yeah I was going to say. Human error, it's inevitable...

Comment

Safety Procedures

Let me start by saying I wished I had saved the links. I found a website stating the they were doing 'routine tests' when the reactor had a fallout. According to the website, it was customary to shut down safety warnings in place while doing these tests. For those of us in the US, nuclear energy is still the cleanest energy we produce. However, due to Chernobyl, Three Mile Isle, and now Japan, we have a bad feeling about nuclear energy.

Comment

Fission is definitely NOT clean energy.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Let me start by stating that I am partial to green technology. Although people state that nuclear isn't clean, which in many ways it isn't. Compared to other types of energy generation, can be clean IF done right. America seems to be the only country capable of spending the money in making reliable and efficient reactors.

A second note about green technology. Why would a country such as Italy, deny the benefits of nuclear energy. Italy want's no part in the generation of electricity with nuclear technology. Yet regardless of their own ideology, fail to accept that the electricity they source from France, comes directly from nuclear reactors that just happen to sit close to the border of the two countries. What do you think will happen when one of those reactors melt down? Too late to complain AFTER it has happened. Just because the reactor is not directly in their "back yard" so to speak, doesn't mean the fallout can't travel 100's of km.

Regarding Japan. I would like to know why on earth they built the reactor so close to a fault line. Not just any fault line but one of the biggest on the planet. For a country that prides itself on renewable energy, full of intelligent people, masters of electronic gadgetry, recycling etc... It almost seems hypocritical of Japanese culture to build nuclear energy sources when they are the leaders in renewable culture. Why not build tidal power generators? Thermal power? Wind (Mitsubishi) ? Solar (Sanyo)?? This frustrates me that they have so much capability, but all for what. Nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      all of that facilities are not save for 1 000 000 years
                      Yucca Mountain will never open and even if some douche is elected that ignores the legal challenges to the site and opens it, it would already be full from the backlog of waste leaving nuclear waste still stored on site at most reactors.

It was not a well thought out idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X