Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Player 10.1 RC Arrives But Still Not In Tune

Phoronix: Flash Player 10.1 RC Arrives But Still Not In Tune

Adobe released Flash Player 10.1 Beta 3 in late February, which brought support for the Broadcom Crystal HD decoding for Windows but not Linux, and just some other general fixes and minor improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't get it! What Adobe's management is thinking? If they continue to move in the same direction Flash will become irrelevant sooner then I expected. Apple's iPad is forcing the web sites to switch to HTML5, MS is pushing Silverlight and even provides doc to Mono project. If I was Adobe shareholder I would be very worry.

Comment

Still lack of 64bit support. No matter on Windows and Linux.

Is there any plan to solve the problem of I/O performance in Gnash? If it is OK, I will use gnash instead of adobe flash.

Comment

Well there is the 10.0 release for 64 bit, for Linux the 10.1 update does not really interest that much, but at least it works since beta 3, the rc works too. Before the browsers crashed too often

Comment

Originally posted by sal-e View Post
          I don't get it! What Adobe's management is thinking? If they continue to move in the same direction Flash will become irrelevant sooner then I expected. Apple's iPad is forcing the web sites to switch to HTML5, MS is pushing Silverlight and even provides doc to Mono project. If I was Adobe shareholder I would be very worry.
          Adobe's not learning anything... It will be just a matter of time that they have to make big changes (improvements) of it's applications or they'll get pushed off from the market.

Comment

I hope they die. Not much to add other than that. You suck adobe!

My high end laptop with 64bit linux plays anything you throw at it though, even 1080p flash... not thx due to flash with their resource eating crap-code.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Flash Player 10.1 RC Arrives But Still Not In Tune
              Adobe released Flash Player 10.1 Beta 3 in late February, which brought support for the Broadcom Crystal HD decoding for Windows but not Linux, and just some other general fixes and minor improvements...
              It's very unfortunate. People were ready to help them, should have they asked and not polluted blogs with non sense. Besides, even wrt. the sub-optimal use of the video acceleration API they intended to make, this was rather trivial and requires at most two days with either API.

Though, VA-API would have been a better choice because there are means to read pixels back in RGBA mode for NVIDIA and through a simple workaround for AMD. I even foresee a means for the AMD case where we can retrieve RGB24 pixels, which apparently matches more the Flash canvas.

They know this solution (read pixels back) is inefficient, even on Windows. There are simple means (subpictures, overlays) to use the full power of the GPU, even on Windows. However, they apparently still don't see the benefit of it. Adobe engineers can't be that bad, so this obviously is a management issue. They just don't care of Linux. On the other hand, it looks normal to devote more time to Windows and MacOS X versions.

Comment

I kind of wish people would just support Gnash more. It's free software, works surprisingly well especially with animations and latest trunk supports VA-API. All it needs now is AVM2 support to make rest of the video sites work other than youtube and blip.

The lack of interest in free software flash/swf player is actually kind of surprising really.

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
                  I kind of wish people would just support Gnash more. It's free software, works surprisingly well especially with animations and latest trunk supports VA-API. All it needs now is AVM2 support to make rest of the video sites work other than youtube and blip.

The lack of interest in free software flash/swf player is actually kind of surprising really.
                  Thanks, I never heard of it apparently it's in portage so I give it a try...

Comment

I try gnash every so often, it's been a while so maybe it's good now?
                    It was a long way off last time I looked at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X