XvMC in Catalyst 10.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XvMC in Catalyst 10.3

Catalyst 10.3 reports the XvMC extension to be present for my Radeon HD3200 GPU. Can I actually use it to decode MPEG2 or MPEG4 content? I tried by enabling xvmc decoder and output in MythTV but did not observe a notable decrease in CPU usage.

I failed to find relevant information on this in using the forum search, but I may have overlooked some bits.

And BTW, I do *not* want to use mplayer and any va-api tricks since I'm quite comfortable with MythTV's internal player (OSD, markers, overall integration).

Thanks
    dargllun

I only know of mplayer and vlc (git) with vaapi support. xvmc should not really matter today as it only decodes mpeg2 and you will not see a diff when your cpu is not the slowest available. basically only for 1080p with bluray bitrates hw accelleration is a must have.

Comment

Hi Kano,

well actually the MythTV recordings using my Hauppauge DVB-T card (ie. SD content) are MPEG2, so I thought XvMC should let CPU usage drop to zero. Instead I saw no change at all, and wondered.

It really would be nice if the MythTV developers would pick up va api support, but I guess everybodys just hyped up on vdpau these days...

Comment

Working...
      X