The Phoronix "It Blew Up Real Good" Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by movieman View Post
    I believe Trinity used to be open to the public a couple of times a year, I'm not sure whether it still is.
    I believe it's open twice a year, in April and October. I've been there. It feels... dead. It's the one most "dead" place I've ever been to, or felt. It's very understated, appropriately so. Seeing the twisted and mangled legs of the test tower sure makes you glad that one of those bombs (or something larger) hasn't been used in a long time.

Comment

It did not blow up yet, but a potential disaster site:

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
        I was in both places last October, in Hiroshima you can still see one buildings from that time and some very nice memorials, also the spot where the bomb exploded in the air (it did not explode on the ground), but all in all left me with a sad impression. The rest of Hiroshima is a lively city though. In Nagasaki I found that it had moved on a bit more then Hiroshima, but then from what I understood it was not destroyed as much as Hiroshima because the bomb exploded more in a bowl area between some mountains.
        MOST nuclear weapons ARE air-burst for most efficient effect, excepting tac-nukes and a few other specialized weapons.

When I was a kid I read a very graphic books describing the Hiroshima/Nagasaki operations, although I can't say that I even remotely disagreed with that dictator Roosevelt, unlike Obomarama and that buffoon Bush Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DuSTman View Post
          Or Nevada test site, which has seen so many detonations it looks like the surface of the moon. Not sure if we'd be allowed in, though.
          BTW, I did manage to get on a tour of the Nevada Test Site in the end and I can confirm that parts of it do look rather like the surface of the moon . You're driving along a road in the middle of the desert and every couple of hundred yards there's another crater from an underground test, as they did about 800 there over the years.

Was a pretty interesting tour, though probably not as exciting as Chernobyl . Lots of driving down remote dirt roads in a bus though.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
            MOST nuclear weapons ARE air-burst for most efficient effect, excepting tac-nukes and a few other specialized weapons.

When I was a kid I read a very graphic books describing the Hiroshima/Nagasaki operations, although I can't say that I even remotely disagreed with that dictator Roosevelt, unlike Obomarama and that buffoon Bush Jr.
            Ummmm.. it was Truman who gave the final go-ahead for the A-bomb. Given the losses to Japanese civilians on Okinawa, a rational argument can be made that the Hiroshima & Nagasaki blasts saved lives, demonstrating the futility of further Japanese resistance to the USA Empire, which already with a re-deploying Royal Navy had a strangling blockade on Japan, as well as total air superiority.

Anyway... the H-bomb blasts make the kiloton nukes look small
            Last edited by rob11311; 03 April 2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Well if I go somday to the USA i would visit mt. St helens, Washington.
              Probably not exactly what you seek.
              But I would go there if I would live in that Region and beeing constraint in time and money.
              Last edited by _ONH_; 04 April 2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X