Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songbird Linux Support Falls Out Of A Tree

Phoronix: Songbird Linux Support Falls Out Of A Tree

Songbird, the open-source multimedia player that's built upon GStreamer and Mozilla Firefox's XULRunner, is no longer chirping a Linux-friendly tune. We have covered Songbird a few times at Phoronix since its initial release back in 2006, but now four years later they will stop officially maintaining the Linux version as they focus just on the Mac OS X and Windows clients...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Go ahead and fuck off, we don't need that rubbish anyway

Comment

I remember that Songbird was one of the most popular all time downloads on getdeb. Talking about some shooting and someone's own foot.

No loss for me though, Rythmbox is still my favourite.

Comment

i tried it once.
        i couldnt figure out how to configure hotkeys.
        -> sudo apt-get remove

Comment

Well, it was crap anyway. At least it was the last time I tried, which admittedly was quite a while ago and on Windows.

Comment

Doesn't Songbird modify your files without you knowing? I vaguely recall something audiophile/data-integrity related (possibly torrents) that discouraged the use of Songbird. If that's the case, then:

And nothing of value was lost.

(MPD + Sonata user here)

Comment

It should die Amarok 2 rocks.

Comment

+1, Songbird was no good, it also had the slow startup typical for mozilla based stuff.
                There's no really good music player for Gnome currently (like Amarok), only a few "almost good enogh" ones.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  +1, Songbird was no good, it also had the slow startup typical for mozilla based stuff.
                  There's no really good music player for Gnome currently (like Amarok), only a few "almost good enogh" ones.
                  Couldn't agree more. It makes me want to create my own music player just to get a player which I could be happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    It should die Amarok 2 rocks.
                    Actually, Amarok 1 rocks. Amarok 2 is still like years behind Amarok 1

Comment

Working...
                    X