No announcement yet.

GNOME 2.30 Released; Farewell To GNOME 2.xx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as rpm -qa | grep gnome-shell doesn't have to return a package name i'll keep using it. I love gnome but I don't like gnome-shell.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      the things that suck so far is that the 'places and devices', and the 'recently used' items is too small for touch screens.
      These parts also suck for regular high-resolution mouse interaction. The items are way too small and there's not enough feedback to help you guide the pointer. Things should really become bigger, light up on hover and depress on click!

A little more contrast wouldn't hurt either, gray-on-dark doesn't really work.

This is the first time I've actually seen a useful use for the Windows button.

What to open up your web browser quickly without using the mouse?

<windows key>
      type: browser
      down-arrow to select
      return key to launch

If they integrate things like chat logs, emails, and recently visited websites into the search results then that would be _FANTASTIC_.
      Basically reinvent Gnome Do in javascript. Necessary if gnome-shell is to become useful but lots of duplicated effort (and Gnome Do has a headstart of a couple of years plus dozens of plugins).

I'm still not convinced about gnome-shell. I can see the merits of the design, but the current implementation leaves too much to be desired. Can the devs really clean this up in time for an October launch?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
        The reason they changed the default back to browser mode and added split mode is because the use case for Nautilus changes when your using 'Gnome Shell'.
        Why do they change the behaviour before GNOME Shell is even released (not counting prereleases)? GNOME 3.0 will be released in September with Shell as default GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
          Anyway, Clearlooks on the whole looks far more elegant that KDE 4's default theme, even if KDE's desktop is pretty...
          You've got to be kidding... If anything Oxygen is the first deafult theme used by any Linux DE that looks good.

I'm sorry but Clearlooks and the former KDE default Plastik are just ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
            Why do they change the behaviour before GNOME Shell is even released (not counting prereleases)? GNOME 3.0 will be released in September with Shell as default GUI.
            GNOME Shell is officially part of the current GNOME release to provide users with a early look and gather feedback. A number of changes in GNOME including the nautilus mode and changes in icons have been made in anticipation of the GNOME Shell change.

If you don't like GNOME Shell or your hardware is old, you can continue running the older GNOME Panel which will be a alternative session that will continue to be available.

Comment

Am I the only one who prefers spatial mode?

It seems to make more sense and was way cleaner in interface.

But I will not complain about it too much as its just a simple change to return to spatial mode (which btw all the people complaining about it could also use).

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                GNOME Shell is officially part of the current GNOME release to provide users with a early look and gather feedback.
                A pre-release. Not enabled by default.

A number of changes in GNOME including the nautilus mode and changes in icons have been made in anticipation of the GNOME Shell change.
                Then apply those changes only when Shell in running. For years Nautilus' brain-dead behavior was defended, but once a new desktop is remotely on the horizon, Nautilus is suddenly changed as if it's not possible to wait for that change until 3.0.
                But whatever. Every distro (IIRC except Fedora) always enabled browser mode by default anyway.

If you don't like GNOME Shell or your hardware is old, you can continue running the older GNOME Panel which will be a alternative session that will continue to be available.
                As if I'd ever use a DE that can't even place file icons right...
                No thanks. Plasma and Dolphin for me.

Comment

Working...
                X