Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Soon: X Server 1.8

Phoronix: Coming Soon: X Server 1.8

According to the release plans, the release of X Server 1.8 should take place, and while in reality it will likely not be released today, its release is coming soon. When this release does arrive, it will add a new set of features to the X.Org stack and a number of other minor improvements and bug-fixes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While personally I do not have a use for it (I use Ubuntu), it would be good to see AMD releasing preview drivers for new X Server releases (and new kernel versions). We know they can do it, as they released preview drivers for OpenCL and OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
      While personally I do not have a use for it (I use Ubuntu), it would be good to see AMD releasing preview drivers for new X Server releases (and new kernel versions). We know they can do it, as they released preview drivers for OpenCL and OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL 4.0.
      I have no hope for fglrx. After all the delays and issues, I think the best thing AMD can do is increase support for development of the open-source stack and put fglrx out of its misery.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
        it would be good to see AMD releasing preview drivers for new X Server releases
        They do, you can usually find them buried in some ubuntu repository.

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
          I have no hope for fglrx. After all the delays and issues, I think the best thing AMD can do is increase support for development of the open-source stack and put fglrx out of its misery.
          It's already working with the Xorg GIT version , so in practice FGLRX 10.4 beta (ubuntu leak) IS compatible already with Xorg 1.8 as there were no such changes that prevent that!

I personally am using Xorg GIT under Arch linux, along with other Arch users (Vi0L0).

What's needed is to checkout GIT and modify the configure.ac's version number to 1.7.5.1 - it will work with the fglrx perfectly just as with xorg-server 1.7!!

Check this and this:

It would be nice to have a HOTFIX version of the 10.4 that will allow the 1.8 version definitions of XORG to work with fglrx catalyst.

Comment

Now, who was it that said fglrx will get 1.7 support just after 1.8 is out?

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
              It's already working with the Xorg GIT version , so in practice FGLRX 10.4 beta (ubuntu leak) IS compatible already with Xorg 1.8 as there were no such changes that prevent that!

I personally am using Xorg GIT under Arch linux, along with other Arch users (Vi0L0).

What's needed is to checkout GIT and modify the configure.ac's version number to 1.7.5.1 - it will work with the fglrx perfectly just as with xorg-server 1.7!!
              I would expect this sort of trickery to be required for the OSS drivers, not for the 'download and go' ones. I agree with the parent post - with KMS the open drivers already deliver a good chunk of joy and the proprietary drivers are only closer to their doom.

Comment

As long as fglrx is 5x faster oss driver is for office work.

Comment

With hal removed, now my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/mouse_wheel.fdi doens't work. Does someone know how can I adapt this file to work with the new udev-based config?

Code:
                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                  <deviceinfo version="0.2">
                  <device>
                    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
                     <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">true</merge>
                    </match>
                  </device>
                  </deviceinfo>

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                    With hal removed, now my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/mouse_wheel.fdi doens't work. Does someone know how can I adapt this file to work with the new udev-based config?
                    Read here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...998cdf57f66731 and here: http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/01/ne...rld-order.html

Here r my files:
                    Code:
                    $ cat /etc/xorg.conf.d/10-mice.conf 
                    Section "InputClass"
                            Identifier "mice"
                            Driver "evdev"
                            MatchVendor "Logitech"
                    EndSection

$ cat /etc/xorg.conf.d/11-keymap.conf 
                    Section "InputClass"
                        Identifier "keyb"
                        MatchIsKeyboard "true"