No announcement yet.

Release The Driver, Or Step Aside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm aware of the publicy available information--I follow Phoronix assiduosly--and that's why I posted here. I remember the other thread, and honestly, until the very end, when things got surreal, it wasn't anything unheard of except for the involvement of some (rightly or not, it doesn't matter) pissed off developer and that the target of the criticism was part of the open source crowd. What I wasn't aware of is that user complains actually have an effect and can even dictate what opinions are allowed to be expressed.

Look, I think you do a terrific job over here and I can only imagine how much time the whole Phoronix business may take. As well as I can imagine what sort of forum you would like to have, with an increasing participation of developers from as many projects as possible to elevate the level of commentary and attract more users. Still, I'm pretty sure any developers who feel the urge to reply can handle this without requiring your censoring hand.

And since I want to be coherent, I'm sure Gordboy himself can also put forward his case in a much better manner than I can, so I'll leave it here. Take this as what it is: an individual element in your set of user opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      that's terribly unfair. I've read a lot worse in this forum, with a special mention for the "conspiracy de" thread shut down (finally) after being alive for ages. What's this guy doing that would deserve a ban? I am actually interested in hearing what he has to say and what, if anything, is the answer from the developers. They are perfectly free to ignore him if so they prefer. Is it ok to rant and vituperate only as long as some holy cows are not mentioned?

I don't condone abusive talking--of which, in any case, i haven't seen much in this specific thread--but less than that i can't stand double standards.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        Still, I'm pretty sure any developers who feel the urge to reply can handle this without requiring your censoring hand.
        He already dubbed the answers as excuses and gives terrific bullshit of something being held for random even though everything's publicly available for anyone to use in the git trees. Which one of these models genuinely is the best:
        a) Release dates carved in stone, drop features if necessary, features that get in are stable and users feel betrayed because they again missed the features they wanted
        b) Release dates carved in stone, put in the newest features immediately, release quality piece of shit and users feel betrayed because their computers crash all the time
        c) Release dates When it's ready (tm) basis, versions actually have the features they are promised to have, features that get in are stable and users feel betrayed because they can't be promised when the version is ready

Comment

The last major remaining issue is bug 27284:

The code to fix GetImage performance (which is needed by firefox and several other popular apps) seems to cause bo issues for some users that cause the command streams to get rejected resulting in corruption and slowness after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The code to fix GetImage performance (which is needed by firefox and several other popular apps) seems to cause bo issues for some users that cause the command streams to get rejected resulting in corruption and slowness after a while.
            By amusing coincidence, I was working on a git bisect for this exact problem when I decided to take a break and browse phoronix. Certain flash video sites trigger it with great reliability on my machine. Glad I didn't submit a dup bug report

Comment

Thank You

Well let's hope this all gets fixed sometime soon.

As for the others, who it seems cannot resist an opportunity to add their own insults - you have let yourselves down. I would be well within my rights to respond to the catalogue of disgraceful BS that passes for discussion here.

I will be back to post on 30th April, as promised. If the driver is still not released, people will make their own judgements.

Comment

Thanks for the update (in spite of the manner in which it was asked.)

Comment

gordboy, if agd5f and the other developers were to 'step aside', could we count on you to step in?

Comment

So much drama.

Comment

Well, since you ask

Originally posted by krazy View Post
                      gordboy, if agd5f and the other developers were to 'step aside', could we count on you to step in?
                      If they hand over all the donated hardware and specs, I would be happy to discuss setting up a development group. We would need signing keys for the kernel stuff. And hosting. And ownership of the irc channels.

Not very likely, without a coup.

But I take your point. Easy to criticize from the sidelines, a different matter when it comes to actually delivering robust code. Let's face it, an internet malcontent would prevaricate and equivocate, without ever delivering anything substantial within a community-acceptable timeframe ...

Comment

Working...
                      X