Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amphigory View Post
    Ha! Oh man... now that is funny!
    No kidding. I deliberately came here to post in this thread about the release, but it seems I've been beaten to the punch... and it turns out we'll have two weeks until gordboy gets to respond.

On another note, congratulations and thank you to those who have been working on this release of the ATI X Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Thanks Michael.

I don't know what I hated more;
      1) His previous posts, or;
      2) The fact that actions like banning are required to keep the peace*...

*Excluding the friendly KDE Vs. Gnome flame wars

Oh noes, I did it again!

Run for cover!!!
      The ban does seem a little inconsistent though.

I nor anyone else have to agree with him, but I still think the only right thing for some of those who responded to him to do would've been to come up with (or continue to come up with, depending on your point of view) good arguments as to why gordboy's assertions were flawed and not to themselves be as inflammatory as he was.

Many on these forums hold what others would consider flawed points of view. Should we all be banned for expressing these?

Oh, and more importantly, congrats on the release.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        " Release The Driver, Or Step Aside"

the theat starter is very very very very very very antisocial!

yes step aside to an deep dark hole theat-starter
        LOL, now that he's gone... you're such a hero... You better watch out in 2 weeks gordboy will be back to give you a verbal whipping

Of course it's Michael's forum and he can do what he wants. But I didn't see anything warranting a ban for gordboy. Banning someone just because other people call you to do so leaves kind of a bad taste in the mouth.

Besides I've found this thread quite entertaining, and judging by the number of views I'm not the only one. Hmm, isn't phoronix's business model based on advertising revenues (read: page views?)

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Of course it's Michael's forum and he can do what he wants. But I didn't see anything warranting a ban for gordboy. Banning someone just because other people call you to do so leaves kind of a bad taste in the mouth.
          Well, it's not the first time he has caused large disagreements with other forum goers. Technical disagreements are one thing that cause no problems, but when he is often the one with personal attacks against others that aren't relevant to the actual technical matter at hand nor representing things in a semi-professional manner, that's another thing. But if enough people call for his temporary ban be lifted early, it can always be reversed...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Well, it's not the first time he has caused large disagreements with other forum goers. Technical disagreements are one thing that cause no problems, but when he is often the one with personal attacks against others that aren't relevant to the actual technical matter at hand nor representing things in a semi-professional manner, that's another thing. But if enough people call for his temporary ban be lifted early, it can always be reversed...
            Well I would be in favor of lifting the ban. But I still think that's the wrong approach. Banning someone or not shouldn't be some kind of democratic event where everyone should have a vote. Just stick to some basic forum rules. It's not like he's all over the place, harassing people. Anyone who has a problem with gordboy can just skip that one thread, but for some reason they won't...

Comment

FWIW he was PM'ing as well...

I guess the question is "what is the next step after warnings are ignored ?".
              Test signature

Comment

@airlied

It is not that i don't know open source, i create my own Linux distro if you didn't know that already. I patched the driver maybe "wrong" in your opinion to let it work with some agp hd 2 cards. But i of course prefer to package (as backport) normal releases. I of course used the 6.12 branch because i only needed ums. Basically it is really more easy to package normal releases than git but maybe you don't understand that. I have really nothing against your work, you do a good job, but nobody would be disappointed when you release more official versions - you must have used git for fedora since ages, just you never "officially" stated that the driver is ready for that. That's just suboptimal.

Comment

This thread is a monument to mob rule. It reminds me of 'The chase', with the final lynching scene included. It's definitely got the same sense of inevitability.

The majority of people posting here have not supplied an ounce of content. Instead they hypocritically played the part of the outraged advocates and reached for their repertoire of insults. Hypocritically, because I don't believe for a moment that the same bunch that calls for a ban while calling names can easily be offended by impolite manners. I do believe, though, that being constantly reminded that they surely sound like a pack of teenage noobs, as well as their inability to counter Gordboy with words, must have made some of them go completely nuts.

Interestingly, the thread was dead and gone in its second page already, when Alex Deucher aseptically (and smartly) informed about the development progress. The crowd, however, was not satisfied: sinners don't deserve a fair answer, and downhill it went. Reading their comments one wonders why they were not banned too. As early as in the first page somebody describes Gordboy as a horrible person who has suffered unimaginable atrocities in the past, clearly in need of medical attention. Nobody thinks there is a slight disconnect between this sort of crap and the original subject and scope of this thread? The show continued for all the following nine pages in a similar vein. So, if mere insults do not grant somebody a ban, as it seems obvious to be the case, what really does?

Originally posted by Michael
                  That's not exactly what I remember happening in the other thread. Gordboy was most definitely not alone doing those horrible things you describe. He may have seemed to be often the one doing so, but that's a distortion introduced by the participation of a gang of people against him, diluting the authorship of insults among an amorphous mass of different nicks.

Originally posted by monraaf
                  Well I would be in favour of lifting the ban. But I still think that's the wrong approach. Banning someone or not shouldn't be some kind of democratic event where everyone should have a vote. Just stick to some basic forum rules. It's not like he's all over the place, harassing people. Anyone who has a problem with gordboy can just skip that one thread, but for some reason they won't...
                  Absolutely. I can think of some regulars here, including myself, who'd be banned by now if it only depended on the votes of some nutters.

Your forum, your rules. People will make their own conclusions from what the rules are and what is done. My opinion: at the very least, the ban was arbitrary since it only affected one of the persons involved in the argument. It's as if you based your decision solely on past events--of which in any case we have a different reading.

Originally posted by bridgman
                  FWIW he was PM'ing as well...

I guess the question is "what is the next step after warnings are ignored ?".
                  For me the question is what are you trying to say. And since you are one of the most calm and pondering forum dwellers, I do assume that it was not due to malice that you left in the air that bit of information, and that you actually were trying to add something of relevance with it. You will understand that nobody would care if Gordboy sent you some love private messages...

Comment

Well yes every forum has its trolls, and gordy seems to fit it well. Hopefully he'll be more contrite when he's allowed back.

Comment

• Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      For me the question is what are you trying to say. And since you are one of the most calm and pondering forum dwellers, I do assume that it was not due to malice that you left in the air that bit of information, and that you actually were trying to add something of relevance with it. You will understand that nobody would care if Gordboy sent you some love private messages...
                      I was responding to the comments that participants could "just ignore the thread". PMs are harder to ignore because you have to delete them to stop your mailbox from filling up.

I guess my point is that I don't think Gordboy's posts on their own were ban-worthy, but that wasn't the reason for the ban anyways AFAIK. Most forum moderation is done via warnings, which is good - but when warnings are ignored what should the moderator do next ? Another warning ?

As long as we are all voting on this I would vote for lifting the ban, not because it was wrong, but because even a one day ban is enough to send a clear "don't fsck with the moderator" message. It would be great if there was some kind of action a moderator could take between warning and ban, but I don't know what that is.

The best I came up with was changing the text under the user's name to read "very close to being banned"
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X