Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE SC 4.4.2 Released w/ Fixes

Phoronix: KDE SC 4.4.2 Released w/ Fixes

The software compilation of KDE 4.4 was released in early February and it will be the latest and greatest version of the KDE Desktop until KDE 4.5 is released in about four more months. While KDE SC 4.4 brought a lot to the table, there's still some bugs and other items continued to be squashed on a monthly basis via new point releases. The second point release for KDE SC 4.4 that brings maintenance updates is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    gnome hurts Linux.... on the Desktop market !
    The popularity of the GNOME based Ubuntu distro seems to indicate otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Correlation != causation.

Anyway... I tried KDE 4.4.1 on Fedora and I am pleased as hell!

I had to enclose a screenshot of the beauty of it Even with 2D accel only with my evergreen =x (can you notice the Gnome-ish network manager there?)http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4550/snapshot1gi.png

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Well, it may be that Ubuntu was the only distro that was dumbed down enough to be popular among the Tom Dick and Harry crowd.

KDE is technically a stronger desktop IMO.

So let the KDE desktop continue marching on

Comment

In my opinion there's no need to turn every KDE or Gnome announcement into a KDE VS Gnome war.

I'd be much more interested in hearing what new or upcoming features, enhancements, and fixes users and developers are excited about.

Comment

Frankly, I don't like either one of them. They both need to go for a good long stretch of not adding any more features and just fixing what they have. They're the best "living" demonstrations of Hoare's warning that I know of:

Originally posted by Tony Hoare
            I gave desperate warnings against the obscurity, the complexity, and overambition of the new design, but my warnings went unheeded. I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
            Still, good to see work progressing on bugfixes either way.

Comment

:P

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              In my opinion there's no need to turn every KDE or Gnome announcement into a KDE VS Gnome war.

I'd be much more interested in hearing what new or upcoming features, enhancements, and fixes users and developers are excited about.
              What? The voice of reason, burn it. Burn it with fire!

@V!NCENT: what is your desktop font? It is hideously unbalanced, i.e. in "Kopete" the "Kop" is much shorter than the "ete" part.

Also what the heck is wrong with the taskbar, it's full of ugly white stripes:

Comment

Why do you always have to shout V!NCENT's name... ack I did it myself...DOWN WITH THE BLOATED DESKTOPS even LXDE is getting bloated

Is Fedora seriously using 1.1Gb there?

There is absolutly no reason why a standard Linux desktop should use more than 40Mb ram with a basic desktop and a terminal open (Even that is being generous) and yes I have attained this at some point with Archlinux and Icewm on a systen with 512Mb ram so it was becuase it was cramped

I have KDE3 on gentoo with fair abount of USE flags enabled and am using around 500Mb.... even that is pretty atrocious though would probably half if I wasn't using firefox.

I'm soo mad I'm gonna go off and compile Icewm...*stalks off*

Comment

@cb88:
                  Preload is running so I can use the amount of RAM to speed up my Linux install. Furthermore AmaroK paused a radiostation which takes up a fair amoint of ram. The gnome networkmannager is running because it's a Gnpme2KDE conversion and that loads all the gnomelib/Gtk stuff too. And then there are widgets and Akonadi server running. Rekonq had a lot of tabs open too.

And all of that only 1.1GB RAM... I got 8GB anyway so who cares? RAM costs less than smoking sigarettes for a week long.

Upgrade your PC or stop whining

Comment

@BlackStar:
                    I'll have to check out what font it is when I get home.

About these stripes:
                    Plasma is a desktop canvas. Everything is a widget. You can have a lot of different WM stuff and taskbars. Whatever you like.

All the widgets used to be just gray transparant, but then the desktop is too grayish and boring, so with the release of 4.3 Plasma startes having 'textures' on the grayish widgets. Given the fact that the taskbar is a widget too, those white stripes that you see are actually squarish tatoos. You can't realy see it because the height of the taskbar isn't large enough. It's not lile hey let's put stripes on it

Comment

Working...
                    X