Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skype Open-Source Update Expected Soon

Default Skype Open-Source Update Expected Soon

Phoronix: Skype Open-Source Update Expected Soon

Back in November there was an official announcement from Skype concerning an open-source Linux client. Details since then have been scarce on what exactly Skype plans to provide as open-source software, with some speculating just the user-interface/front-end side will be opened up. Skype though has continued in recent months of providing new Linux betas of their closed-source Linux client that still has yet to reach a feature parity with the Skype Windows client. No open-source Skype news updates have come since their original blog-style announcement...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODExMA

No open protocol, no party.
    IAX2 is simply better.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    IAX2 is simply better.
    Exactly, who cares of an open-source GUI? In my opinion, it's more of an out-sourcing operation, rather than an open-sourcing one.

being pessimistic, i can imagine this announcement going like this

"we were joking. sorry"

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    IAX2 is simply better.
    Any video enabled clients you can suggest?

Doesn't Skype contain a implementation of On2's VP7?

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Exactly, who cares of an open-source GUI? In my opinion, it's more of an out-sourcing operation, rather than an open-sourcing one.
    It depends how much of the skype system you have access to. One obvious benefit would be the ability to merge Skype into the multi-protocol chat and instant messaging programs (e.g. Pidgin, Empathy, Kopete), to integrate your skype contacts with your desktop contacts managers (e.g. Kmail, Evolution). The Maemo version does some of this already, but it's not

Ok, a full open spec protocol would be nice, but failing that, a properly documented library which can be linked against would be better than nothing, as it would offer some improvements to the system, AND these improvements wouldn't be limited to the Linux desktops

Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    Any video enabled clients you can suggest?
    Kapanga

(fucking 10 character limit)

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAB View Post
    It depends how much of the skype system you have access to. One obvious benefit would be the ability to merge Skype into the multi-protocol chat and instant messaging programs (e.g. Pidgin, Empathy, Kopete), to integrate your skype contacts with your desktop contacts managers (e.g. Kmail, Evolution). The Maemo version does some of this already, but it's not

Ok, a full open spec protocol would be nice, but failing that, a properly documented library which can be linked against would be better than nothing, as it would offer some improvements to the system, AND these improvements wouldn't be limited to the Linux desktops
    On the other hand, this will give Skype the opportunity of wholehandedly drop linux support, claiming that "the community" will take care of it.
    And well, to be honest the last thing linux needs is another nasty, smelly binary blob in its infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    On the other hand, this will give Skype the opportunity of wholehandedly drop linux support, claiming that "the community" will take care of it.
    And well, to be honest the last thing linux needs is another nasty, smelly binary blob in its infrastructure.
    Skype already is a smelly blob in the infrastructure

It won't let Skype drop linux support, it will let Skype drop Linux GUI support. Whether this is a good thing or not depends on how they play it. As I said, if they provide a decent library to talk to their network, I find it hard to believe that the major desktops won't integrate that support into their messaging apps.

Having seen how Skype integrates on the Nokia N900, I can honestly say it is much nicer than any skype I have seen on Windows, Mac OSX, or (PC) Linux. A back end protocol library leaving the actual GUI to the desktops would be the best way to achieve that short of a completely open protocol.