Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD faster than Intel, but only under Linux!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD faster than Intel, but only under Linux!!!

AMD taster than Intel, but only under Linux!!!

Hmmm, one more reason to go Linux.

While the article mentions Amdahl's Law, it is outdated, as described at http://www.cis.temple.edu/~shi/docs/amdahl/amdahl.html

and

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      well i realized that long time ago, but it make sense after all. Windows have been always very sicky in the way it handle threads(beside the horrible gut killing pain of sync them in the win32 thread api :* ). on the other hand posix threads have always seem extremely logical and stable in linux and other unix like oses too.

my bet here is that the poor performance in windows is due to hypertransport and the way cores are interconnected internally but is not AMD faults at the end is intel's/microsoft faults.

my bet is that somehow microsoft have some internal optimization in their thread api that force it to assume or add latency to compensate the heat produced for the old fsb system from intel, so that could ovbiuosly kill the benefit of Athlon/phenom/opteron hypertransport and inner memory manager due to the self generated latency.

now on the other hand could simple be that microsoft and intel have some hidden deal in there to slowdown amd chips internally so they make sure amd wont kill they processor in benchys by much, pretty much like the famous microsft/foxxcon bios "misunderstanding" from the g33 chipsets

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        Or maybe MS' compiler just produces worse 64bit code than GCC
        (although I don't know which toolchain built the Blender Windows
        binaries in the AT test linked to above).

Here's an interesting evaluation of compilers. It's 3 years old
        but still highly entertaining (at least to me):

Comment

[stupid time-limit to edit posts]

The OpenLDAP guys also noticed the Opteron beating the
          pants off a faster Xeon in 64bit mode:

Comment

AMD invented the x86-64 mode.

Conroe (core 2)'s 64-bit implementation is still a little bit hackish.

Try adding Nehalem Xeons to the comparison, it truces AMD in no matter how many bits computing mode.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              Try adding Nehalem Xeons to the comparison, it truces AMD in no matter how many bits computing mode.
              X5570 and X5670 are both Nehalem based.

Comment

Working...
              X